Just Bought 82' Xs400 Special, Needs work.

1st82XS400Special

XS400 Member
Reaction score
New to the forum, so if there are any threads addressing my problems, please link.

Bought an 82 XS400 Special last week, and while I've had it running, it hasn't been without issues. The electric start button is gone, person I purchased it from was using a rigged paperclip to crank it. And the clip worked fine, until the next day, when the lights also started to flicker and fade. So First thing I had to do was get a new battery, no problem. Got the battery in it and it cranked, once. Being my first motorcycle, I wasn't sure what was wrong. Kickstart wouldn't work when I bought the bike, as for some reason I'm getting zero compression. To add a little fun, I left the gas line open over night and flooded the engine. My buddy came over the next day and we were able to push her, put her in first and pop the clutch to start her, and she ran fine when we did. Just yesterday i got her rolling down a hill and cranked her right up the same way. But today I am getting nothing but a putter. And the electric start sound like it is ticking and straining, when I first try and use it, then nothing.

HELP PLEASE :(

You need to let the clutch out and kick the bike over in neutral to have any effect. Your clutch is right in between your kick starter and the crankshaft. You also need to pull your carbs and clean the thoroughly, likely multiple times. Our carbs are very fussy about any dirt and don't work well unless surgically clean. You should also overhaul your petcock (or buy a new one) to keep from leaking gas. If the electric start isn't working, you may have a short in the system that is draining the battery too fast or cutting the voltage and amperage to your starter motor.
I'll link some of the threads I am referring to shortly.

Also, welcome to the forum :)

Hey Man, thanks for the welcome. I know you said you'd link some threads, and I am sure theyll have what I am looking for. Just got back from the local bike shop and they said it could need an engine rebuild, I really hope not. I may take it to them this weekend when i have to money, but until them I am left to my own devices. You said the clutch needs to be out, How so?

When you kickstart your bike you should not touch the clutch lever, otherwise you literally disconnect it from the engine. That's why you felt that is has zero compression.

Alright, Did as y'all said, and it has compression, but still no crank....
Now my lights wont come on, not even the neutral and oil check

Last edited:
Did you fully charge the new battery that you bought before using it? Did you check that your bike's charging system is working? How many volts is the battery reading?

Links (finally)!
Here's some stuff about carbs and cleaning:
http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6375&highlight=carb+cleaner
http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6240&highlight=houghmade
Rebuilding/refurbishing a leaky petcock:
http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8033
I don't have anything for the starter, but I suggest you consult a wiring diagram and look for burnt or frayed wires that would relate to your starter circuit. Failing that, I simply capped the leads to my starter and will remove it completely when winter rolls around. I run kick-only just fine. Just sucks for stalling at a stop sign or traffic light.

When i bought the new battery I dropped it off at an Advance Auto and left it with them overnight and picked it up the next day and everything worked. Don't know if I said but it is my first bike, and I'd consider myself more of a noob and even a noob. Going to take it to Advance Auto tomorrow before work and hopefully it is just a dead battery.

A few batteries come fully charged and ready to use, but they are generally the more expensive ones. Many cheaper batteries require a full charge before use. Hopefully they remembered to charge yours should it be required. Either way they might replace it if it has only been a few days.

Problem 1 sounds like a dead battery. Time to invest in a battery charger. I have a "smart charger" from Sears that charges and maintains and will not overcharge. However, any charger that charges to 12 volts and under 2 amps should be OK if you follow the directions. I keep mine plugged in most of the time. Whether using the starter or kicker, the battery must have a good charge to make good spark.

Picked up the charged battery and now she runs. The Next step is replacing the missing horn and electric start buttons. Any Recommendations as to where to purchase these from? Is eBay okay?

Last edited:
The horns are pretty universal; a local auto parts store may have one that will work.

Check the classifieds here and ebay for the electric start controls. Alternatively, if you're handy, you could make your own button.

Carbs need cleaning, especially the idle circuit.

http://www.xs400.com/forum/showpost.php?p=64401&postcount=17

carbswhitelogosmall.jpg

Any mods to the intake or exhaust? Any holes in the exhaust? These can also affect idle a great deal.

I'll be uploading some pictures here soon, hope that can help. As a first time rider and it being my first vehicle, I am not sure what to look for. However, I talked with the guy I bought it from said the carbs havn't been touched in a little over a year, so that need to be done for sure

Mine had no starter button either. I swapped the horn button in it's place because I start a lot more often than use the horn.

Then, I got one from Kiboko Joe. His buttons are aluminum and the rim won't snap off like on the plastic ones. They are only $5, too. Worked like a charm.

Here is his site: http://www.freewebs.com/kibokojoe/

Back