Just got a quote for paint...SH%$#@&TTTTT!!!!

Greasey Fingers

XS400 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Rung this guy here who is pretty good at custom paint. Hes a pro, his work is immaculate. Airbrushing, pinstripes whatever. I was thinking ill just give him a buzz for a ball park figure on a tank job. So I found a picture of a tank he did on his website. It was just a simple silver tank with a number on it. I figured he may want 500-600 bucks for a job like that.

HE WANTED $1600, and I strip the tank and its dent free. Am i naive or is that a rip off??!!! I didnt ask him to paint the fucking sistine chapel.

It depends on the work, materials, etc. If he can do something no one else can he can command a premium.

I'd look elsewhere if you just want something basic.

lol, good call. Dont get me wrong I wanna give these guys credit for theyre work but holy crap, who can afford 1600 just to get a number written on a tank :)

Ouch!

I am sure the guy is an artist but that is a bit too pricey for a budget build.

For that much $ you could buy a shed, compressor, spray gun, respirator, paint and all the other kit you need and do it yourself.

See if Modern Motorcycle Company in Collingwood can help or ask on Sydney Cafe Racers (Melbourne members might be able to help out).

I am an "amateur professional" painter in that I have taught myself body work and paint over the past 25 years to the point where eventually, most of my paint work comes out as good as many professional jobs I've seen. However, I generally stick to basic polyurethane base/clear with an occasional stripe. It can cost up to $300 just for high grade professional paint (I use PPG brand) and other supplies for a small to medium size paint job (DTM epoxy primer and catalyst, 2K high fill primer and catalyst, base paint and reducer, clear paint and catalyst, body putty, glazing putty, several increasingly fine grits of sand paper, paper, masking tape, fine line tape, spreaders, rubbing compound, glaze) as well as a reasonable investment in tools (compressor, several different spray guns, files, sanding blocks, hammers and hand anvils, grinders and buffers). When painting the reasonably simple paint job on our cafe racer this spring, I put in at least 100 hours just for body work, paint prep, and painting of the frame, fender, seat, and tank. That being said, $1600 for painting a tank is one of the reasons I taught myself how to paint.

my mate had a cbx1000 tank and panels painted by dream machine, with decals to original spec for £800.

it is immaculate I must say.

maybe they are swamped for work and rather turn you down, charge it up.

That's exactly how Nigel Mansell got into F1.

yeah, that's inflated. The real value of almost any repair I've seen quoted is 1/3. At 1600, that means its really worth about 530 bucks.

Most of what they charge for is the ass hassle of smoothing out the paint before shooting the clear. If you do that yourself after shooting it well with one stage paint and keep it waxed it will look prime and you will have pride too. Think it over.

Yeah good call, i think im going to have to learn paint. I have a spare dented tank I will try it on. Time to research the techniques I guess. Actually maybe ill try the knee dent thing too while im at it, that way i could learn bog work as well:shrug:

Back