Kick Starter, Electric Starter, Not going into gear. Help!!!!!

Miltown

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I'm new to this scene so I have a few questions. I just picked up a 77XS400D. After sitting for 10 years I cleaned the carbs, changed the fluids, and it fired right up! Sounds strong too. The problem is, the push button starter just stopped working. It doesn't even turn the motor over anymore like there's no power even getting to it. Also, my kick starter doesn't work either. It only catches about every 20 kicks. I took the cover off to inspect and everything looks normal to me. Is there a certain "tension" that needs to be on that front spring? Could this have something to do with the clutch too? The clutch has a really hard pull and the bike doesn't go into gear all of the way. The plates look good so I'm pretty baffled by all of this. Any help would be great. Thanks!

Last edited:
Clutch pull could be a couple things, I had the inside lining sucked out of the cable, and wrap itself in and out of the clutch handle, under the rubber cover.

the push button starter just stopped working. It doesn't even turn the motor over anymore like there's no power even getting to it.
Okay This could be a grounding issue. or a fuse issue. its weird after 30 years fuse box crumble, and ground become corroded where it wont work, of coarse the kill switch being on could defeat the start up process. If it isnt clicking, then is the battery ready to be used? Its a really short wire from the battery to the starter relay. Are they connected? Are the connectors looking in good condition?

my kick starter doesn't work either. It only catches about every 20 kicks. I took the cover off to inspect and everything looks normal to me. Is there a certain "tension" that needs to be on that front spring?
That spring could go weak, its only suppose to return the the kickstand Kickstart lever up. while the action sends the thoughout gear to mesh with the flywheel. Perhaps its a lube thing? with out it running, and splashing oil all around the case, perhaps it just hasn't gotten well lubed via the normal action of driving it. You just need to make sure the dog, the weird stud is put in right, so that the action of kicking is in the right direction. people have gotten in backwards. double check.

Last edited:
The clutch has a really hard pull and the bike doesn't go into gear all of the way. The plates look good so I'm pretty baffled by all of this. Any help would be great. Thanks!

We just had a discussion under the title of neutral and 4th and 5th gear didn't work. That covers how to adjust the clutches, and included pics. I am rushing out the door, Good luck The manual has dimensions for your clutch plates thickness, you just need a micrometer.

Back