Kick starting

Forward_pack

1981 xs400H
Reaction score
How difficult is it to kick over an xs400?

I picked one up for fifty bucks and I doesn't run. Currently working through reasons why. You know new spark plugs, oil change, carb cleaning and the like.

Any helpful hints or comments about how to get this good old bike running in all ears. Currently waiting on parts to rebuild the starter clutch.

Thanks and have a good one

All of the above. Then clean the carbs a few more times.
More info on the bike would certainly help.
Contact breaker lobed cam installed the wrong way around is a common one.
Spark plug cables swapped left/right is another big one.
Then clean the carbs again.

You also need a battery to start it, even if you use/have kick start only.

If you have points and the bike has been sitting, they may work but id replace them right away. then you need to verify timing is correct.

Once you get spark and timing, you should be able to pour some gas in the spark plug holes and get it to kick over briefly.

How do I tell if my bike has points? I do have a battery haha.

Also I can see where the contact breaker is installed but one screw has a plug over the top of it that's recessed. Any ideas on how to get that out short of putting a screw in it and pulling is straight out?

Thanks again

I cant recall what year they switched over to electronic ignition.

It helps for the forum to know the year of your bike and DOHC or SOHC. The model year is usually good enough though, except for a couple of odd years where changeovers/options happened. You can see how a lot of users add their bike to their signature. I have my bike listed right below my username.

You need to get that cover off the left side of the head. Points are a wear item and need to be maintained until they need to be replaced. They arent expensive though so its worth it to pick up a couple extra sets while youre at it. I usually carry an extra set with me on the road.

If one is plugged then it has a TCI ignition. Post pics of the bike a the first three letters of the vin. We can tell what the year is from that.

I cant recall what year they switched over to electronic ignition.

It helps for the forum to know the year of your bike and DOHC or SOHC. The model year is usually good enough though, except for a couple of odd years where changeovers/options happened. You can see how a lot of users add their bike to their signature. I have my bike listed right below my username.

You need to get that cover off the left side of the head. Points are a wear item and need to be maintained until they need to be replaced. They arent expensive though so its worth it to pick up a couple extra sets while youre at it. I usually carry an extra set with me on the road.

OK gotcha. I'll have to take this pictures probably tomorrow.

On the left side am I taking off the shallow plate to get to the points out the deeper cover If that description doesn't make sense I'll go ahead and take a picture or two to help explain. Thanks again

20180711_195038_HDR.jpg
20180711_195020_HDR.jpg
Message_1531092129623.jpg

Back