Kickstart issue, Carb issue, Gas flowing out Air filter from Carb, Front Brake issue

1. Check if the floats are set up correctly. If they aren't, fuel keeps running into the carbs, the floats won't shut the ventiles and fuel will fill the airboxes. Also make sure that the petcock is ok.

C&P from another thread:

The petcock should have 3 positions. "On", "Pri" and "Res", I think. "On" and "Res" are vacuum-operated. In these positions, fuel should only pass the petcock when the engine is running or you try to start it. There should be a hose from the petcock to one of the rubber joints that connect the carbs to the cylinder. When the according piston moves down in the cylinder, it creates a vacuum which not only sucks in air and gas but also opens up the petcock (it has a membrane in it). "Pri" will bypass the membrane and have the fuel constantly flowing without a vacuum.

Quote "2. Todays repair was the Kick start spring. after the engine turns off/shuts off. there is a distinctive spring sound "spring being sprung", like a Lawn mower pull rope spring sounding broken. Coarse I didn't know where the Spring clip goes. I assumed that like the Stop piece, that it will end up in the right position."

Today I opened up the case messed with the kick start assembly till it seemed like it might be OK, then I attached the kicking device, and tried it, then I heard that snap. there is now a crack in my kick start hole. I have seen a picture similar on this website, I couldn't find it prior to my posting.

Now what? :banghead: I am currently thinking 3 things.
1. replace everything button it up ,and just go electric start only
2. return front brake caliber kit, and give up on this bike.
3. I am sure there a third option, I am just dont know
Tobie

On the kickstart isuue....just go electric only and u should be okay. As far as the carb...pull the float and see if the float needle (part that the float moves up and down) is sticking. My carbs on my '82 are rebuilt and clean as hell but I have had the float needles stick on both carbs after I let it sit too long.

I have found out that my needles were the worst that that Hitching post mechanic has ever seen, so I have ordered a set of them, they should be here by Wednesday, or Thursday.

What about the kick start journal? is it better to leave the spring on the kick start shaft, so that it pulls the shaft down towards the bottom of the journal? or to hope that the shaft will not shatter the cracked journal with no other perceived pressures being exerted on to that shaft?

I did get the front brake to work!!!!

Hi guys, after seeing VolSkater post, and spend quite a bit of time looking into this, how to figure out if a Crankcase for a 4R5 will fit my bike with a 4R4? Ebay has a 4R5. Is there anything I might need make it fit, or will it fit naturally???? Thanks for any advise!
tobie

most of the cranks are the same. the really later sohc bikes had rubber mounted front engine mounts. I have a NOS xs360 case on my 400!

Off of E-Bay I found this info on ebay, from store "cruzinimage_co1484" Seems to have Japan distrubution site. If I was a guessing man, that the bottom of this list is all compatible Crankcases/Engines....:wink2:

Other item info
Item number: 130579362712
Item location: Chiba, default, Japan
Ships to: Worldwide See exclusions
Payments:
PayPal See payment information

77-84 YAMAHA XS400 ENGINE GASKET CI-286

DESCRIPTION-◆CI-286GS◆
*Yamaha XS400 Engine Gasket set
New reproduction
Fit models is follows.
77 XS400D
78 XS400E
78 XS400/2E
78 XS400S(2JO)
79 XS400F
79 XS400/2F
79 XS400(3N7)
80 XS400SE(4G5)
80 XS400G
80 XS400SG
81 XS400H
81 XS400HS
81 XS400(4A3)
81 XS400SE(4G5)
82 XS400SJ
82 XS400(4A3)
82 XS400SE(4G5)
83 XS400SE(4G5)
84 XS400SE(4G5)

Success, Thanks everyone for your help. I was able to put the carb in, and turn it on. (kick start is terminal) Now for leaky Muffler/Loose chain/replace Rear brake shoes. Wish me luck!
Tobie :D

OK I've got the same bike and my gas was flowing out the back to but it turns out the floats in the Carb was from some 250 bike so I ordered new brass floats and no more leaking out the back so go to mikesxs.net they got good stuff but its strictly 650 parts but some parts will fit the 400 anyways ur floats probably not working right there supposed to float but there probably sinking hence the gas leaking anyways hope that helps

I am going to guess it was one of a few things, either A) your right, I did check the floats when I was boiling the carburetor, The floats were fine. They were set to about 26, and most of the stuff I seen about the float height was for 32. perhaps the jet needle passages were gummed up, I did pop that out and cleaned her up real good there. along with the Air Screw setting screw. I tried to talk myself out of that one cause of the brass plug. After doing all that, It works!!! Now to figure out how to get the Back tire off so I can change the drum brakes. Thanks again everyone for your help!
Tobie

Sure thing but that's why ur gas is leaking ur floats aren't floating and that's a usual suspect when something goes wrong if its anything its usually the floats

Alright good deal

Resolution, The bike had a bad float, Kickstart issue was resolved by purchasing a new crankcase with the same 3 digit serial number, and Front brake was rebuilt. I have post this other places, but I just relized, I didnt up date this thread. I have put some resulations in the Pics (album)
Tobie

Back