Kickstart seized?

kingsly

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Hey all... I've been working on this XS400 that was a barn find I got for my wife. I thought the engine was seized but after sitting for weeks with mystery oil in the cylinders with no luck, I got bored and took the side overs off. I put a socket on the main drive and stood on it - the engine turned freely (and shot mystery oil out the spark plug holes at high velocity... )

Reassembled: still won't kick over. At the detent where you'd expect to put your weight into it to crank the motor it's completely solid and won't budge a single bit more. Is there something going on in the kickstart mechanism that I'm missing? God forbid something stuck in the transmission??

I'm at a loss...

Sounds like it got reasembled backwards. There is a lug that sits up against a block, that is suppose to turn a specific way, and if they reassembled it backwards, the lug will not let you go anywhere.

I recommend to print out the page from the manual, with the kickstart replacement instructions, Take the right side engine cover off, and take a look. infact take a good photo first, and then just pull it out, and replace it. it is a simple thing to do. generally the kickstart OD seal can handle the removal, and replacement. just don't do what alot of us did. Don't kick the the engine over with out the cover on. Learn from us, once it is out, look at the hole behind the flywheel, and make sure it is intact. as long as there is not crack, or missing piece on that part you should be good. once the starter cog is out, you can play the the action, make sure its lube'd, and making full range motion. Use the manual (download for free, no-longer emailed as one thread suggested). We do have pics, and maybe even in the TECH tab on top of the website, has the most useful threads, in regards to stuff like this. Willem has put out a thread for common issues, and putting a starter system back in place for the first time is not really straight forward, but second time, and third time is a charm. We have lots of resources.

Thanks! I was beginning to suspect the same thing. Theres a spring clip on kickstart gear that assists in sliding the gear down the shaft to disengage the starter from the engine (like a bendix on an electric start). From what I saw in the manual, that's supposed to face down and slide into a corresponding groove in the case. Right?

Then on the rear of the kickstart shaft itself there's a big chunk of metal that's pressed on, like a cam. Presumably the lug you're talking about? I'm pretty sure it was assembled with the lug facing up, which would make sense in allowing the kickstart to turn 90 degrees before hitting the hard stop in the case. What direction is that lug supposed to point?

That is a great question, I suppose I can open up the manual, and double check, I was only studying 2 college classes, and I am always looking at procrastinating for those classes. I am going to click on the Tech tab, at the top of the screen, and see if we have that info already there. My memory is so fuzzy about the details, I can tell you if I had in my hands, but with soo much going on since I just put it together 2 months ago, I have forgotten. I sit there and figure it out, in my hands. There is a picture of someone who put in on 180 degrees from right. (backwards) couldn't figure out why it didn't work right, then when we seen the pic, The first response that it was obvious, but If you don't know, then neither did he. I think. It was a funny story, because I wasn't the center of the story. Wow that didn't take too long, it was the 9th one on the list. I think this thread will help you, now to nominate a thread to put this on to the "Tech Page" The other option is the 2nd sticky down on the garage forum, has something marked "Yamaha XS400 manuals" There are 2 basic manuals, pre 1982, and post 1982. Everything built pre 1982 was considered SOHC, and the post, is DOHC. (their may one or two exceptions) So the one marked 360-400 is for the SOHC. Page 16 has the short instructions for doing. with one pic, pretty useless, It just says pull it out, and then put it in, pull spring clockwise. and put it on the projected piece of metal, come to think of it, I replaced my sping last year. I suspect since I am 600 miles from my home, and can not see it, I suspect that the lever needs to go counter clockwise, so the lug will need to be up against the block that is clockwise from its current ready to kick position. Does that make sense? You know ever since the invent of digital watches, no one knows which way clockwise is.

I suppose I was hard on you, sorry, we literally have 4 years of tech knowledge on this website, I know the info is here, once you open it up, it will make sense to you. Before you go that far, YouTube the kick start installation old Yamaha, I couldn't find anything specific for our bikes, but don't let me stop you from looking.

http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10050&page=2

hat's supposed to face down and slide into a corresponding groove in the case. Right?

I think its The wire not doing much of anything type of thing, just sits inthe grove, the lug I think goes counter clockwise, (opposite of the spring) I could be wrong. Just have fun with it

on my XS 400 with the bike in neutral I push the Kickstarter but it doesn't seem to be engaging the engine at all and verified that pulling a plug and look to see if piston moves it wasn't.I it put it in gear it wants to turn the transmission why is the starter not engaging the engine. Electric is fine and starts bike thanks

did you open up the side panel, and see if the centrifuge action is working?

I am going to try the shotgun approach, here is a list of Manual items that reflect on the starting of a bike. One of these pics might make sense, or help you find it in the manual.

Attachments

• kickstarter.jpg
    kickstarter.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 303
  • electrical.jpg
    electrical.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 214
  • Enhanced Starter system.jpg
    Enhanced Starter system.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 213
  • Starter Solenoid.png
    Starter Solenoid.png