kill switch help.

tw8872

XS400 Member
Reaction score
I am thinking that part of my problem is that the kill switch for my 1980 xs400 sg isn't working. There are six wires coming from the kill switch but end up at three at the wiring harness:
killswitch.jpg

We hooked the multimeter the kill switch plug and the two r/w wires connect when the kill switch is on, but when it goes to the wiring harness they donot match up:
killswitch2.jpg

I was hoping someone could shed some light on this or share some pics. I'm still trying to learn and get this thing running! Thanks.

Last edited:
Well there's definitely something different or wrong. If you look at your pictures closely the kill switch red/white wires, and blue/white wires don't mate with like color wires on the harness. Without seeing your right control and not having access to mine to look at, I would still be willing to bet that your control is from a different bike. Do the plugs mate, if so you might be able to switch the blue/white with the middle red/white on the control to get things working. I took my front end off, and don't remember where I put my right control, but I'll look for it.

We hooked the multimeter the kill switch plug and the two r/w wires connect when the kill switch is on, but when it goes to the wiring harness they donot match up:

^Sorry missed that first time I looked at post

Last edited:
Thanks for the help musket. We jumped the two r/w wires on the harness so that the kill switch is on all the time, and we finally got a spark! Its still not running though but we are one step closer.

Back