Kill Switch

mjahii

XS400 Member
Reaction score
I want to start with saying this forum is great. Over the years I’ve referenced tons old threads while working on my on again off again project. For me, this forum has proven to as valuable as my manual. Recently, with some magical paper work, I was able to get a title for my bike so I’ve way more motivated to get things done. All that’s left now is final wiring, mufflers and carb sync. Last night it fired up for the first time in over a year….it was exciting. My question for all of you is regarding my kill switch with points. I had the MikesXS Elec. Ignition installed and may go back to it, but for now I’m running points. I believe the easiest way to kill the engine would be to install a on/off toggle between the coils and 12v power. However, would I be able to run a momentary normally open switch? One side of the switch has (2) leads completing the circuit between the coils and power and the other wire goes to ground. By pushing the momentary button it will ground the coils. Is this bad? Could I potentially over heat something? I understand once the engine stops running I still need to turn my ignition off as to not over heat the coils. I drew a picture of what I may do. Few other pictures of my bike. thanks for reading

Attachments

• kill.png
    kill.png
    335.3 KB · Views: 200
  • 1.png
    1.png
    605.5 KB · Views: 202
  • bike.png
    bike.png
    562.9 KB · Views: 226
  • seat.png
    seat.png
    516.9 KB · Views: 210
  • seat1.png
    seat1.png
    718.9 KB · Views: 201
if you ground the coil power wire before the coils that is a direct short and will blow a fuse or melt wires almost instantly. Simply opening the connection up to be an open or the opposite of a ground which is closed will do what you want nicely.

Your diagram will work if you get rid of the ground leg to the right.

I understand I need to separate or open the connection between 12v and coils. I need a different switch. I need a normally closed switch vs the normally open. The switch I currently have connects the 2 leads when depressed, I need a switch that separates when pressed. Not sure removing the ground wire in my diagram will work, as the power and coil connection wont be separated. Thanks for the insight....I defiantly do not want to be poppin' fuses

'Not sure removing the ground wire in my diagram will work, as the power and coil connection wont be separated.'

You're confusing yourself with talk of the ground. Remove the ground. Get your normally closed momentary switch and install it between power and the plus sides of coils. Done.

Back