Last call for help as Im flippen pissed off with the bloody thing

Gary

XS400 Member
Reaction score
OK so here is the SOS if your in Northumberland /Tyne & Wear please feel free to come and have a look at my XS400. If you think you know any thing about getting a spark.
I am uckin fed up with fannying about with it due to not having a clue when it comes to electrics . LIke I said in my last post every thing works but no spark

As I don't have the log book and the bike was given to me by a friend , he is still looking for the logbook it has been sitting in his yard for 15 years.
So I think its a 1980-82 , no ECU as it has a set of points on the left side However my friend thinks its A Reg which makes it a 1984 , so I think this might be wrong as it doesn't have an ECU
v4009x_th.jpg
2lw7hon_th.jpg
2yva05j_th.jpg

UK models differed from US models but I believe it'll be a 1980 XS400SE, vin code 4G5.
If you have no spark it'll be points/timing related.

Grab the manuals, check ignition coil primary and secondary resistance. Check points gaps and timing.

Hopefully there's a local shop that can have a look if you can't do the checks yourself.

New plugs? Seen people chase their tales and all they needs was good plugs.

Have you chased the problem backwards? Look for a spark on the plugs. Remove plugs and caps and look for a spark from the wire to ground. hold a ground near the coils and look for a spark to jump across.

Or have you chased it forwards? Troubleshoot points, then their connection to the coils, then troubleshoot coils.

Sparks are about the only thing I have consistently right now :laugh: An electronics background is finally good for something!

Last edited:
Back