Leaking Fork Oil ... Advice Needed ;)

robindean

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
So, I learned how to exchange my fork oil and it certainly needed to be done.

After putting everything back together (followed the manual) all is well with one problem.

Basically, when I run my finger around the drain screw at the bottom of my forks, I end up with fork oil on my finger (suggesting a leak). That's why I'm here.

When I tighten my drain screws, I notice that they don't seem to get "tight". Instead, there's a point where they just keep goin' round and round and round and round and round :wtf:

So, is that the way they're designed to operate?

Next question: The manual mentions the prospective need to replace those little mini gasket-washer dealies that go between the screw and the fork. Has that been anyone else's experience? What are those called and where can I get them?
Is minor leaking like this normal?

Look for question marks, people ... LOL. So far I count four ;)

sounds like its stripped, somebody over tightend it and its just soft cast metal. might need to drain it drill it to the next size and re-tap some new threads in there. or find a new fork leg.

its not suppose to leak of course

The screw should have a washer on it to keep it from leaking,so should never be tightened enough to strip it. lha

A quick fix for now could be some sort of silicone type sealant so you dont have to pull them apart again right away. Maybe threebond 1211? You could retap them when you change the oil next.

In all honesty, doesn't this warrant a proper fix? The forks are under pressure, and if you're leaking oil out the bottom, a) you're getting it all over your tire (and hopefully not a disc brake), b) you'll have to keep topping it up if it leaks, and c) as it loses oil, one fork is working harder than the other, leading to stability issues.

Or do I have it wrong?

To fix it right I would get a good used fork lower and replace it.

She's fixed. I did everything as a first timer and on my own :thumbsup:

Fingers crossed that I didn't damage anything.

Basically ...

I pulled the brakes, tire and fender. Then, off came the forks.

I opened them, drained them, tapped them to an 8/1.25 and then flushed them with kerosene.

I did NOT replace the seals (hoping, hoping, hoping, hoping, hoping).

While the brake was off, I cleaned that up too before bleeding them with a one man bleed tool.

I have a question that GREATLY concerns me, though.

The manual specifies the torque strength on the fork pinch bolts as being a mere 14 foot lbs. There are TWO sets of pinch bolts. One set is small, the other larger (on bottom). I felt a little uneasy about that figure so I torqued all of them to 20 ft/lbs.

Anyone have any tips about this? Scary stuff, considering it's holding my face off of the pavement.

You'll be back in there to replace the seals sooner rather than later unless they're fairly new. Did you check the wheel bearings? I find that it's better to replace or at least check whatever you need to while you have anything torn apart,or you'll be returning to where you're at! lha

just my oppinion, but if you over torque something there is potential to pull or strech the threads, making them weaker, thus making your face more likely to touch the pavement!

I agree as I would think that the torque values are engineered for the stretch in the bolts and the amount of hold needed on the component. the pinch bolts are there only to keep the axle from turning,the axle nut holds the axle from coming loose. lha

Well, 6 lbs over torque doesn't SEEM like much to me but, do tell.

I mean, this isn't steel into aluminum, this is (seemingly) steel in to iron(?).

Again, the manual says 14 ft lbs and I went 20 ... is that more significant than I'm sensing?

Back