Leaky but good compression

Evan

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
The motor on this bike has decent compression (152 & 160 cold) but seems to be leaking oil from every possible seam. I've never worked on these bikes before (or any bikes really) so I'm wondering - can most of the gaskets can be replaced without any special tools? Am I going to find most bikes will be in similar condition or is this one worse than most?

2012-04-04+16.46.50.jpg

2012-04-04+16.45.27.jpg

2012-04-04+16.46.09.jpg

If I recall correctly, you can tear down the entire engine with just an impact driver and a hand full of sockets: H4, H5, M8, M10, M12, M14. I sealed my pickup cover and crankcase with black RTV. All of the cork/nitrile gaskets from the rebuild kit went on the covers and the top end..

Does the number on your top cam cover match the heads? There is a serial number above the carb boots on mine. These pieces are machine-matched and will leak if any other cam cover is placed on the head without re-machining; it may have been replaced in the bike's history or the cover may have been warped if the proper torquing procedure was not followed during installation. The Hayne's manual called for a non-hardening sealant on the cam cover; I found some of this at the local auto parts store.

And yes, all of the gaskets go on the top end. There are, however, several oil seals all over the bike that also tend to leak!

As long as it's not pouring oil out of it and you have good compression I would just clean it up and drive it. A lot of times some of the leaks will stop with a little run time.

As long as it's not pouring oil out of it and you have good compression I would just clean it up and drive it. A lot of times some of the leaks will stop with a little run time.

I agree. Clean it up and ride it. It could be seeping out so slow that it isn't a problem. If it turns out it is actually dripping, rather than slow seeping, see exactly where that is from and just fix the worst. Mine seeps a smidge of oil from the head gasket, but it runs perfectly, so I just check the oil every ride and leave it alone.

Mine seeps a smidge of oil from the head gasket, but it runs perfectly, so I just check the oil every ride and leave it alone.

Same here. Not worth the effort to replace the gasket. After a hard run last August it even stopped leaking for a time. Engine runs fine with an incredible 170 psi compression.

Yea I just noticed pretty even seepage from my head gasket after my rebuild Im hoping it will stop after break in. has any one noticed this after a rebuild??

Back