Left mirror reverse threaded?

bentwrench

DOHC Crazy
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Is it? Or did the PO just put locktite on it to vex me? I just can't get it to budge lefty loosey (or righty tighty, for that matter, but if I knew for sure which way to crank it, I'm sure I could get it off...)

1983 DOHC Maxim, if it matters.

Confused me too when i was trying to put the mirrors back on, i found myself trying to screw it in for 5 minutes to later find out i was screwing the wrong way -.-

I cut the original off because of this... the nub that remained came right out with vice grips once I figured out my mistake!

Is it? Or did the PO just put locktite on it to vex me? I just can't get it to budge lefty loosey (or righty tighty, for that matter, but if I knew for sure which way to crank it, I'm sure I could get it off...)

1983 DOHC Maxim, if it matters.
:oops: ... ERROR !
Bumped mine loose just today. Left one goes backwards :hellno:- like roundabouts in UK and Auz. ERROR ! - clutch hand (left?) mirror is righty-tighty, brake hand (right?) mirror is backwards.

PS - Just because it's reverse threaded though doesn't mean your PO didn't try to vex you ...

Last edited:
Mikes explains it too when you order,

Installation Note: Yamaha Right hand mirrors (Brake side) have a Left hand
thread. Left side mirrors (Clutch side) have a right hand thread.

:stupid: = me, 2 posts up :doh:

Sorry about the error B-W, :bow2: I hope I don't owe you a mirror mount for that left mouse-ear. :boxing:
I did knock my left one loose the other day and to tighten, you must push it away from you into the wind. Same with the right one if it's comes loose - into the wind.
I was confused because I am recalling all the trouble I had with one mirror on the sr250. I had to pull over to tighten it because I had to pull it towards me to tighten while holding the set screw with my left hand.
Upon reflection, it makes sense this way. Should you clip something like a branch, the mirror doesn't snap off, just loosens - and you can tighten it while still riding by just pushing it into the wind. What will they think of next?

Back