Let's get some Rearsets! (and information about them)

danisawesome

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
I'm beginning to round up the last few pieces to my bike and have gotten stuck on what I am going to do for rearsets multiple times through my build. I need a folding peg option since my bike is kick only and I think that the kickstart won't have enough clearance otherwise (please tell me if otherwise!). What have you all done to fulfill your rearset needs? Pictures, parts/part numbers, links, fabrication steps, it's all welcome here!

To start it off, I've been looking at a couple of options:

1. Get universal rearsets and make a bracket to ensure fitment and clearance. These are the ones I'm currently looking at (which someone else posted when I searched earlier): http://www.lossaengineering.com/shop/lgc-universal-rearsets/ Only issue would be that they are getting up into the pricier side of things, especially with not knowing how they fit or if they are of decent quality.

2. Somehow use the passenger pegs from a friend's CBR600 and fab up some foot controls as well as brackets that will mount it to the frame. This would be the cheaper route, but also a little more complicated and possibly impossible.

I used a set of R1 foot controls, cooked up a couple of mounting brackets and welded them onto the frame. Since I was switching to a disc brake, hooking it all up was super easy. If you're running a drum, some linkage mods will have to be made
016-3.jpg

tight fit for the kicker, but still works ( since my kicker is a lil' sloppy, I had to bend the pedal in for a bit of extra clearance)
008-2.jpg

Those look really nice and fit the style of the bike really well. Nice job! Are you running an aftermarket exhaust setup? I feel like my slightly upswept megaphones are going to get in the way. I'm excited to see what other people have done and hopefully add my own in here soon.

My cousin is just launching a new rear set product. They are fully adjustable and are pure machined aluminum. The price point is the lowest I've seen for the quality. As soon as his site is up I'll be posting it on the forum as well as shots of my xs400 with a pair installed. I'll post a few picks shortly.

Here are the rear sets.
Red arrows indicate what i meant by adustable, you can change the angle of the controls to suite the application.
Adjustable.jpg

If you'd like a pair contact me via the forum and I'll provide you with information on price and infromation to contact my cousin to place an order.

Last edited:
Wow, small world, eh? I talked to him a week or so ago about possibly getting a set when they come in. Definitely interested in pictures of yours if you have some.

Wow, small world, eh? I talked to him a week or so ago about possibly getting a set when they come in. Definitely interested in pictures of yours if you have some.

Yes it is a very small world, i guess my cousin gets around LOL Your the 3rd or 4th person I've met all over oregon that knows him haha.

Here is my XS400 that Caleb finished 2 months ago.
These are not the final product rearsets. This was the first pair he hand built. The new ones coming out are based on this design.

The sickest part about them is i can adjust the angle by adjusting the linkage, as well as the fact they just screw right on to some bolts we welded to the frame.

Photo Jul 05, 7 01 23 PM (HDR).jpg

Photo Jul 05, 7 02 39 PM.jpg

I found out about his rearsets from a Facebook group I'm in called NW Rockers.

Anyways, those look real nice! Good fitment and craftsmanship. The only thing that scares me is that they don't fold up, not that I would ever get that far over I don't think.

Edit: And the bike ain't too bad either :D

That's a good point however depending on your mount point I doubt you'd scrape. I guess it just depends in a stock location I would worry but with most Cafes the mount point is much higher.

Caleb might have considered it though I imagine that would drive the cost up.

Thanks about the bike I love it, so proud to ride it just wish I got to help build more of it but we are 4 hours apart. Hoping to move soon and become a more full time assistant on his projects.

I saw somewhere else on the forum that a guy heated and bent the kick-start lever to clear his rearsets...just an idea?

Back