Lingering throttle

Gzus308

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello all!

I am having issues with my throttle lately and seeing if anyone can shed some light on my situation. What's happening is when I'm in 5th or 6th gear I'll be going on my merry way and all the sudden my throttle will just kinda linger. It doesn't slow or die, nor when opening the throttle more, accelerate. I have found that downshifting then shifting back up it fixes the issue but only for a moment. Also seems to happen more on longer rides when the motor really warms up.I have recently taken the carbs apart, deep cleaned them, floats readjusted, and rejetted with pods.

Anyone know what's up?

I don't have a tach so its hard to say, but in the higher rpms. As far as when it happens its very random. Just got back from a ride and it happened in 2nd. Feels like its a fuel issue but maybe a timing issue too? Idk anymore. I'm also guzzling gas too but it never backfires to imply flooding.

Also i've noticed that when it does "linger/ bog down" if i throttle harder the exhaust has a fluttery sound. Thats kinda why i think its timing. Baught the bike not running and with a carb cleaning got it eunning pretty strong minus this issue.

Where are you're mixture screws set to, are your plugs looking lean? It definitely sound like a fuel issue most commonly caused by the rejetting and pods. You may need to open up your mixture screws or shim the needle a bit.

I didn't shim the needle when i went up in jets... diaphram was good when it was open. How does one shim the needle?

These needles have movable c clips you can click down a notch. And yes check valve adjustment, never hurts. .0025 - .0035intake, .006 - .008 exhaust.

I'm currently trying to adjust the needles. My needles only have the one notch so I'm looking at shimming it but don't know by how much... About the width of the C clip? Or more?

Yea, that should do. Make sure both needles are shimmed at exactly the same thickness. That's the downfall to buying singular jets and not a jet kit, they come w/ shims.

Still happening... :( I didn't think to play with the mixture strews before I left. Should I thicken the shims? I just put a real thin washer under the clip.

Yes same size washers in both carbs. I took my spark plugs out to have a look and the left is tan (ish, a little on the lean side) but my right is waaaayyy rich. I don't know how because I just sync'd them a month ago. Don't know if that is a cause to my issue or just another thing to address next :banghead:

Thanks again for all the help fellas

a carb sync will not make them run equally rich or lean. You'll just have to adjust the right carb again, maybe just by using the idle mixture screw and otherwise you'll have to see about the washer or maybe even a smaller size jet.

Adjust your mixture screws, Id leave the tan one alone or maybe back out the screw 1/4 and screw in the black plug side 1/4 turn.

Back