Lingering throttle

These needles have movable c clips you can click down a notch. And yes check valve adjustment, never hurts. .0025 - .0035intake, .006 - .008 exhaust.

Not on the 1981-82 you have to use a spacer.Speaking of which I need to adjust mine but Im sick and tired of removing and installing the carbs:banghead:

Not on the 1981-82 you have to use a spacer.Speaking of which I need to adjust mine but Im sick and tired of removing and installing the carbs:banghead:

I feel yah.

I Adjusted the mix screws back out to 3 turns and have them still sync'd. Now the problem is the motor is taking off with no throttle. Which I hear is a lean issue. Before adjusting the mixture screws I also got bold and put another shim on the needle (now lifted about two c-clips above stock). Is the new shim raising the needle up too much causing the take off? Or you think it's a leanness issue?

Also on a side note, what is the jet looking thing in the filter side of the carb opening?

So an update to my issue.

Tried shimming the needle with various thickness of shims and it seemed to make the problem happen more and in various rpm ranges. I adjusted the mixture screws and nothing seemed to help. So I'm back to no shims and just a bog down around 50mph.... Pretty much to square one.

You said that you rejetted ,what size jets do you have.If you went up more than 2 sizes you would go up one size on the pilot.Also are you running straight down pipes or do you have mufflers?

Is this on sohc or dohc?The jetting sizes I dont beleive is causing your issue.I know I had this problem for a while on my bike and it was a few different things causing it.Mainly vacume and air leaks around the carbs and pods I have.My throttle cable was also very corroded inside so I took it off and slid the wire in and out of the sleave then lubed it with some graphite spray.Also check where the the cable connects onto the carbs and make sure its straight up and down in the socket.I hope this info helps resolve your problem I know how annoying it can be.

Sohc. What I'm gonna try next is replacing both mixture screws... I tinker with them all the time and the plugs seem to not be changing at all. Always the right being rich, and left lean. My theory is both mixture screws are bad and the motor is bogging down because the left cylinder isn't producing the needed power so the right cylinder is picking up its slack. So thanks for all the help and I'll let you guys know what happens after I get new screws.

Sohc. What I'm gonna try next is replacing both mixture screws... I tinker with them all the time and the plugs seem to not be changing at all. Always the right being rich, and left lean. My theory is both mixture screws are bad and the motor is bogging down because the left cylinder isn't producing the needed power so the right cylinder is picking up its slack. So thanks for all the help and I'll let you guys know what happens after I get new screws.

Check and make sure the rubber seals down in the bottom of the hole where the screws go are still intact.They maybe worn,or crushed to the point the carb is sucking air.

Hey again fellas. I'm getting my bike ready for this season and as I left it, the problem still exists. Talking with a buddy of mine he made it sound like the bog down was more electrical related (I'm also having battery issues). He said a similar thing happened to his older bike and all he had to do was reset his points. Seeing how my '80 xs400 sg doesn't have points I was wondering what other electrical short May be worth looking into (if at all)? I did find a similar thread that indicated the stator connection but after tearing the left panels off and inspecting they look perfect to me (yarn coating still intact no visual wear).

Thanks guys!!

Back