Looking for some suggestions

JonE78

XS400 Member
Reaction score
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Hello I just purchased a 1978 xs400. Seems to be in good shape but looking for some help on a few things. Noticed a small drip fuel leak, coming from the bottom of the bike by left foot peg, the throttle does not automatically retract after twisting it, and the back wheel seems a little "tight" while rolling in neutral. Just looking for some pointers on where to start troubleshooting. Thank you!

Hi last point first, as it's the easiest to remedy, get your bike on centre stand, or propped up so the rear wheel is off the ground, then adjust your chain, that should cure that problem, IF itdoesn't, you may find that your wheel bearing's need replacing? I would get a repair kit for your fuel tap, as well, as it seem's that it is leaking into the carb's, and dripping onto your footrest!

Merlin

Got the bike running today. Seems to only run while the choke is halfway or all the way pulled. If I push the choke back in the bike shuts off. Also if I give it a certain amount of gas too quick it shuts off

Okay so I have found the leak to be coming from the left side of the carb. Dripping from the air filter. Would this be an overflow issue? Caused by floats?

I fixed the throttle pretty easily, it snaps shut now. I have diagnosed the problem on the back wheel. It appears the brake is laying on the rotor and dragging. Will probably just remove for now until I get the bike running better. It runs but runs like shit. I will have to remove the carb and see what's going on. I have the overflow issue which is hopefully the floats. But also sounds like the carb needs to be synced. Wish me luck! Give me any pointers if you can!

I think the carb overflowing fuel is more likely to be needle and seat. Of course its related to the floats mentioned above, but different. As for the poor running issue you should start with giving the carbs a good clean. The overflowing fuel and running only with some choke suggests the possibility varnish and other junk blocking small orifices in the jets and passages.

The type of pod air filters you have are the worst type to use on these bikes. I would get some uni's or get the stock intake "H-pipe and put them on the ends. It would make the bike tune/run much better.

Back