Looking for Valuation of 1982 Yamaha Heritage Special 400

Jim Cartlidge

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
I have a 1982 Yamaha Heritage Special 400 that I purchased new. It was last licensed in 2009 and I am looking to sell it as is, to a neighbour as a winter project for him. I am trying to find a fair price but it is pretty tough to find a comparable bike for sale.

It has always been stored inside and has just over 8,000 km on it. It was running when parked but nothing has been done to it since.

What is a fair price?

Thanks

Jim

Will it even turn over? I've seen a wide range of many different things in the words 'stored inside', which can be nice airtight building or temperature not controlled and even a wooden shed with huge openings in the walls and virtually the same as stored outside. When the temperature rises and falls then the metal parts of engine condense water on them and if it can get inside the engine can even lock it up to be damaged if you try to move it. It usually happens to 2 strokes far faster than 4 but not impossible. Very important to occasionally move the engine over a bit when it sits long like that to keep it free, if not the rust on cylinder walls then scars them up on the getting engine back running again and it may or may not affect engine life.

Post some pics of it. Prices also can depend on location, markets and originality. I prefer stock OEM bikes that have not been modified in any way. The later bikes are less desirable than the earlier stuff almost always. There is the Kelly blue book but those are very narrow in scope and are lower than what most sellers can actually get. I have bought five of these bikes over the last 20 years and payed from $200-$1000 for them. Most in very bad shape and after sitting for years. I would say a very clean 82 with very low miles that runs drives and stops with fresh tires is from $1500-$2000. Yours sounds like it will need tires and a full going through to be a good safe runner. So maybe $800-$1200. But if your not good friends with your neighbor and want as much as you can get ask what ever he is willing to pay. I have seen hipsters pay over 3k for these bikes all cut up and looking like crap and not even safe to ride. It all depends on the buyer.

Same here on the variability of price by location but people don't know much about bike prices. Here in Texas you won't get that much, I buy DOHC 750s (Honda) and even 900 at that price but I know what they are worth when not running. Even had a couple given to me. Go to say Colorado and get 2x-3X as much. It can be pretty crazy. The more original it is = $$$$$$. Even extending to original pipes which are often hopelessly rusted out inside if still there. I for one like to find a nice header on one I want, it saves added expense getting one.

IMG_8161.jpeg
IMG_8161.jpeg

Here are a couple of pictures of the bike. Just hosed it down as there was sawdust all over it from the woodshed it has been stored in. Located in Vancouver BC Canada. Has 8600 Km or about 5500 original miles. Bike is all original except for the faring that I added when I purchased it in 1982. Suggested value/price?

Thanks
JIm

Last edited:
Back