Loud!

mapper

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Ok, my Xs400 is extremely loud, is this normal, I know that they are after market pipes, but it does grab attention and cars know when I'm near any suggestions about other brands of pipes that may be a little quieter?

i thought it was just my bike! It kinda pisses off my neighbours when I start her up at 5:30am to head to work. If you find and quieter pipes or mods, let me know.

I'll let you know if I find something available, going to talk to my mechanic today. Yeah your right about the neighbours @ 530 am. I definitely don't start it in the garage!

I'm not sure when the pipes were replaced, as to what brand they are.. they maybe be " Hooker". Not sure if that company is still in business. My dad had them on his Honda750/4 and man that bike went from Cadillac to dragster sound wise. Also pushed the h/p way up.

I just put emgo turnouts on mine because they were cheap and i needed something to get me through....i guess i got what i paid for i might as well run no mufflers at all. Interested to see what you guys come up with!

As i said earlier, people and cars know where you are and in some cases that's a good thing.
As far as tickets go? I'll find out soon enough lol.

Mine is missing the exhaust baffles so it is also extremely loud. If I am standing next to it and rev it past 5k rpm's it literally hurts my ears! :-(
Hopefully,if you are a "young'un",You'll use ear plugs.If not,You'll be saying"huh" a lot when you're my age.Years of "boom,boom" all day and sometimes all night have just about messed up my hearing in certain wavelengths of sounds. lha

Ear plugs? Absolutely.... I'm a bass player and been wearing them for 25+ years thanks to drummers. Even our instructor at the m/c safety course told us to use them esp on long trips. By the way, I wish I was still a young ' un, in my 50's lol

haha I after a summer of riding I finally realized I should wear earplugs yesterday after a 100 miles round trip in which my ears hurt after (and my bike overheated as well )-: )

haha I after a summer of riding I finally realized I should wear earplugs yesterday after a 100 miles round trip in which my ears hurt after (and my bike overheated as well )-: )
Back in another century and a far country, my lady and I loaded a Yam 350 [2-stroke ancestor of the 400] with tent, bags, camp stove, coffee pot, iron skillet, etc. [everthing but salt :doh:] and set off on a camping trip. Being young and silly we thought that if we we cound find a way to strap it on, the bike would haul it.
On the second day the road looked pretty flat but after 40 miles or so the bike started to slow down and lose power. I stopped to check it, checked tire pressure, looked at everything that showed but all seemed in order. After some head-scratching and couple of cigaretts we started her up again and she ran as normal but after another 30 miles or so, slowed and lost power again:wtf:. Finally noticed the headers getting blue and the exhaust clicking and pinging as it cooled.
More head-scratching.
In the end we figured out that the land that looked flat had been steadily rising - kind of like approaching the Rockies from the east. The overloaded bike had been climbing hundreds of feet in altitude till it couldn't do any more - then going on after a breather.
Ain't nature wunnerful?:D

Your 2-stroke was gasping for air and gas,running lean.Altitude and extra load will really do a number on any bike,but 2-strokers are especially bad about sustained high speed cruising,made for racing and around town riding. lha

Hopefully,if you are a "young'un",You'll use ear plugs.If not,You'll be saying"huh" a lot when you're my age.Years of "boom,boom" all day and sometimes all night have just about messed up my hearing in certain wavelengths of sounds. lha

+1 on this one.

In my peaceful town,You'd be a target for every cop in town to stop you and give you a ticket,while Harleys with open pipes ride by busting wide open[deafening].The thinking is that the Harleys were made for open pipes,and others were made for muffled bliss.I have had Harleys,and they run well muffled,and are still loud with muffled pipes. The smaller bikes attract more attention since they come from the factory nice and quiet.You have to alter the exhaust to make them louder. lha

loud is good when a soccer mom on her cell phone is about to hit you since she can't see you when she is on her phone:yikes:

loud is good when a soccer mom on her cell phone is about to hit you since she can't see you when she is on her phone:yikes:
Soccer moms are deaf and and blind. Ignorant pigf:eek:ckers don't care whether they hear you or not - if they want your spot they WILL move into it even if they are looking right at you. I have kicked dents into car doors to get their attention as they crowded me out of my lane - this is risky as some just don't care while others are mean, selfish, and don't care [I was much younger and still immortal].

Bikers take note: Loud or quiet, you can be run down and left for dead and the self-centered two-ton asshole who did it will drive away without blinking. They probably won't even get a twinge of conscience, much less a ticket. So watch your ass!:bike:

Bikers take note: Loud or quiet, you can be run down and left for dead and the self-centered two-ton asshole who did it will drive away without blinking. They probably won't even get a twinge of conscience, much less a ticket. So watch your ass!:bike:

:agree: seconded

Back