low idle with revs hanging

ecaves09

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm pretty sure it's my exhaust but I wanna ask anyway before I spend the money. My mufflers are stock but have a ton of holes and probably not much baffling left to be honest. Would the cause a problem with a low idle due to low back pressure? Also the holes leading to the hanging revs? Bike runs perfect beside this...

Hanging revs usually indicates that the bike is running lean. Definitely get the exhaust fixed up, but in the mean time you may be able to compensate for the lean idle by turning your pilot jet out 1/2 turn or so.

Also yes on the mufflers. Make sure the carbs are synced with a manometer after. Check to see if the plugs are running too hot. You don't want a hole in the piston:wink2:

Well the carbs are bench synced pretty spot on if that would run okay? My pilots are 3.5 out but I'm gonna try another half turn...I noticed it hangs mainly when it's hot...has no power when "cold" almost like lack of back pressure but I noticed every once and while the carbs will pop back thru

Back