Main/Crown Bolt size?

KC-AceCafe

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I apologize, but I've searched and cannot find the size. I'm installing clip ons and new headlight brackets, I've loosened the outer clamps on the triple clamp but I don't know what size the crown bolt is? Is it 21mm?

Cheers!

Are you looking to replace it or just find a socket to remove it? I use a 22 mm socket on mine and I just checked; a 21 mm does not fit. This is on my 1978.

Are you looking to replace it or just find a socket to remove it? I use a 22 mm socket on mine and I just checked; a 21 mm does not fit. This is on my 1978.

if the crown bolt is in reference to the castellated nut on the main wheel axle pins, it is a 22mm nut. only nut of that size really on there that i can spot. only bigger is sprocket nut.

Thanks guys! It's the main bolt, right below the gauge cluster in the middle. The very center of the triple clamp, where the forks pivot on. I thought it would be 21 but my guess was off, so 22 it is! I just hope I don't mar it as it seems very shallow.

Oh and nothing should fly out when I remove the triple clamp right? I come from a world of cars, work with me here lol.

The 2 pairs of pinch bolts hold the forks in place. The crown bolt holds the top of the triple tree on. When the crown bolt is withdrawn the top of the triple tree can be removed. At this point there is another nut holding the rest of the triple tree on. When this next nut is removed the lower triple tree is free to fall out. If you have stock steering bearings they will also likely fall out. Be prepared to catch bbs!

Oh, and I have removed mine several times and it has no marks on it. The torque is not too high on that bolt. 21 was a good guess though; it does seem to have a slight taper to it.

Last edited:
All this just to remove the factory headlight brackets? Nuts, I've heard of people lowering the fork tubes while the crown stays bolted down...that's one method. However I would have to get a jack......again, crazy.

Is there no easy way, or trick to removing sliding those headlight brackets off? I also have to have at least a 1.5" gap to slip my clip ons onto the fork tubes.

Thanks for the help!

What year is your bike? My '78 does not require anything to be taken off. Does your year have "ears" mounted on the fork tubes? If so you need to lift the bike by something other than the front forks. Do you have a center stand? When the weight is off the front end you need to remove the front wheel and loosen the triple tree pinch bolts; the forks will slide out. You shouldn't have to touch the crown bolt to remove the forks.

I didn't know exactly what you were trying to do until now, so don't worry about removing the triple tree or the crown.

It's an 82', the headlight ears look to be welded onto a chrome sleeve which is slipped over the fork tubes. I have a center stand, and if I put some weight on the back end the rear wheel will touch the ground and front will come up of course. I've never taken a wheel off a bike before, no issues with the brakes at all...I guess the disc will just leave the caliper and it should all slip right out.

Thanks again for the help man!

I think the manual calls for the caliper to be taken off its bracket for wheel removal; at least this is how you do it on my gixxer. My '78 has drums all around. You might need new headlamp brackets if you want to use the clip-ons. The ones I have seen on these bikes tend to take up the entire length of fork with its tube. Aftermarket ones will clamp right to the fork instead.

I'd follow the steps in the free manual. It isn' hard or anything, but there is a certain order of things that needs to occur, especially when the wheel is re-installed.

Yeah I have some emgo black headlight brackets. I planned it all my friend :)

I'm also in the process of finishing my fiberglass cafe seat, and just picked up some pig skin to wrap the cushion in. I'm super pumped, but shipping takes foreverrrr!

I will man, my garage is a pig sty right now, it's covered in florist foam, sand paper, nuts and bolts, tools etc etc. Once I get the seat bondo'd and primed I'll wheel the bike outside for some shots.

This bolt must have worked it's way out on my '82 maxim, cycle shop said that's it's been discontinued, and they don't know the size! Any help on size/length or place to find one!? Thanks

Back