main jet removal “emulsion tube” help needed

Ilovemountains

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ive got my carbs torn completely down ready to soak but have a question about removing the main jet emulsion tubes. I know on other CV carbs they come out from the bottom up through the top of the carb. Before I try to knock mine out I need to know if this is how they are held in on these carbs as well! I tried tapping them out with a round die but nothing moved and I don’t want to whack them too hard before I know for sure they come out from the bowl side up through the top. Thanks again, Matt

Would it be OK to heat them with a propane torch then try to tap them out or should I make a jig and put them in the press one by one? The mains on the last GS1100 carb set that I rebuilt tapped right out, these seem a little snug to me!

I didn't need anything like that to get my stuffed freed, after it sat for 9 years, I Can't think of which tube that one is, but I know most of the stuff came loose with a block of wood, or sat in lube oil, (wD40, and the like.) If you can though a pic of which tube it is. visit this web site, it has great pics, and tips, (the XS650 carbs and the XS400 are the same carbs)for the most part)
http://www.amckayltd.com/carbguide.pdf

good luck

Remove the main jet and its washer. Then tap gently from bottom with plastic, wood, or brass drift. The washer is what can stump you as it tends to be stuck in place.

I know for sure they come out from the bowl side up through the top.

Maybe your wording is not clear and I am misunderstanding, but just to be clear, the main jet and washer must be removed from the float bowl side. Once this is done you'll push down on the emulsion tube to pop it out into the venturi. Normally it just falls out easily when the main jet and washer are removed.

The main jet and a washer hold them in; a small pin is used to align them.

Thanks again for all the input, the washer was stuck to the emulsion tubes, all in a nice thick layer or tar like goo.. Once I got the washer off I was able to tap the tubes out, from teh bowl side up through the top! After about 2 hours of scrubbing, scraping, copper wire brushing and compressed air my carbs are about as clean as they are going to get!

Simmer those carb bodies in lemon juice or vinegar and probe all the passages with a fine wire. Then simmer again. You can thank me later when the bike runs like a top! ;)

Back