master cylinder lens replacement

Jso123

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Maybe this is more trouble than its worth, but since i am about to rebuild the master cylinder and replace the hose, i was thinking it would be a good idea to replace that yellow lens that you are supposed to check the brake fluid level with. Mine is totally opaque. It seems to be 19mm across and I think a watch mineral glass lens would work. I think there is someone on ebay that sells them for $15 too.

Has anyone else done this?

yes I have. It is rather simple, but since I work in a tool and die shop I added a couple nice features to mine. Mine is o ring sealed with a special aluminum washer and snap ring to hold pressure on the o ring. So if the o ring ever gives out I just replace it and the mineral glass never turns colors. it turned out really well. I rebuilt a FZR600 master cylinder.

You make it sound easy.... But I also ave friends who talk about "dropping a new engine into a car" I may try polishing mine with a dermal first. Thanks

It really would be quite easy for you because a lot of japanese master cylinders come with a groove cut in front of the sight glass which lends itself perfectly to a spirolox snap ring (no machining required) :thumbsup: I just added some of my own touches.

Back