microwaving riding gloves: just don't try it

willem

XS400 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
right so a few words of experience-based wisdom.

My gloves got really wet a while ago and it took for ever to dry them, which resulted in them smelling like something between a wet dog and a 3-week-old carcass. Not good.

After some googling I found some home remedies: I first tried freezing them. A few days in the freezer didn't help one bit.

Another option I read about was to microwave the bacteria out. Nuke 'm. Thought I'd give it a go, first tried on the lowest setting for a few seconds but I soon got comfortable and nuked the gloves full power for a good 30-35 seconds. This unfortunately completely melted the plastic knuckle-protector on one of the gloves and made the whole house smell like a chemical plant :doh:

so.. if you are considering doing the same thing, just don't. :wink2:

I guess I'll go buy some new winter gloves now.. :shrug:

maybe this method is suitable for full leather gloves only...:D
next time you should check "microwave oven safe" symbol on your protectors...:D

washing machine? :D

Yes of course this would have been an option, but then I would have had equally wet gloves again, which would again not want to dry. But it was probably a better solution, combined with the hair dryer :thumbsup:

If you have forced air heating / air conditioning in your home, the floor registers make a perfect gear drying spot. I have coat racks installed on the wall above a couple floor registers in my house and never have to deal with wet gear for long. Just be sure that the gear doesn't get hot, especially leather. Air flow is more important that temperature for good drying. Total cost: under $10 for the coat racks.

I washed my gear (jacket and liner, pants, gloves, glove liners, neck warmer) last night and it was all dry this morning. :)

Yea and I live a 2 minute walk from the beach, plus my house is old and really not insulated and it's very humid in the Netherlands to start with, so everything dries very very slowly. If I mop the living room floor with minimal water, it also takes about 3 hours to dry. I'm gonna go the hair dryer route next time I have wet gloves, or put them somewhere at work to dry.

Actually, I used the molten glove last night when I rode to the gym, it's fine actually. The initial smell is still kinda there, but by far not as strong as it was. A slight burned plastic smell has been added, but also not very strong. Only problem is the small finger in the right glove doesn't want to go in all the way anymore, which is a bit uncomfortable. But apart from optically ruining the gloves, I'd say this microwaving is actually somewhat of a success.

I used to ride a pushbike to work & when it rained I would hang my wet socks over the back of my computer & they would dry in no time.

Posted via Mobile

Back