Mirror screw extraction

flornz

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
These pics are from the brake hand side of my bike. I'm trying to extract that *&!!$@&*! screw and I'm not sure now if it's reverse threaded or not. (I've been "going right" using a screw extractor to get it out but it wouldn't budge.) It looks like the original part (that break fluid reservoir is attached to the mirror assembly) and I assumed reverse thread. I'm thinking the reason it broke in the first place was that somebody was trying to loosen it when they were actually tightening it. Can somebody confirm/refute this just by the pic, if that's possible?

Thanks.

Attachments

• photo (2).JPG
    photo (2).JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 329
  • photo (3).JPG
    photo (3).JPG
    141.3 KB · Views: 317
83 Maxim, left hand thread. A replacement master cylinder is easy to find if it gets to that point. I had to replace mine.

I had the same problem with one of mine where the previous owner had threaded it so he just used araldite or similar to hold it in place.

I switched to bar ends and never looked back (pun not intended).

Thanks for all the input. Replacing the assembly is may last resort, I am going to try and extract that screw first. I love those original parts and don't want to part with them if I can help it.

You could always drill it out then fill the hole with quiksteel and re-tap the hole. Then you make it right thread which will make it a bit easier to fit aftermarket mirrors.

I'm in the same situation.

I've ordered new mirror's BUT am getting the right mirror with the normal treading not the yamaha's reverse thread since.......

First I'm am going to try and tap using a normal thread 10mm fine thread (I'm going to double check this when I get the mirror's) and I'm pretty sure it's hard to find a reverse thread tap..

If that fail's, iv'e looked at heli-coil's and the one I saw for 10mm fine, look's like it can be installed since there is a fair bit of metal around the screw hole were trying to fix.

Hope this give's you some option's

That's looks like the same one I used. Same price too. The one I bought was $100 from my local Yamaha dealer and was identical to my original one just didn't have 'YAMAHA' stamped into the casting. Money well spent.

I got a metric tap set for $10 from the specials bin at an auto shop. Quick steel is about $10 and you will find all sorts of uses for it.

A neighbour of mine, took a bolt that I had found that fit the Pitch, and everything, ground out a grove, to make a instant Tap. (I went to the hardware store with the mirror, and found the right bolt, thread direction etc...

Ok, it looks like I have a few options. I'll try and create a tap with a bolt, then I'll see if I can get my hands on affordable tap set. Thanks for the input, everybody.

I guess if everything fails, that's when I need to buy the assembly. By the way, I found a couple from China that are even cheaper. Any opinion on these, guys?

http://www.amazon.com/Front-Hydraul...p/B00BAO7F5I/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t#productDetails

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Yamaha-...268&pid=100011&prg=1005&rk=2&sd=271223209591&

Thanks pork chop, the universal clamp on mirror is definitely worth a look. Easy, inexpensive, hopefully it works, yessir, that's the point.

Clamp on mirror would be good, but you'll probably use the taps more than just this one time. I had one and lost it and i've needed it countless times! small investment and totally worth it. Quicksteel or JB Weld or whatever you want to use would be great too because you can start totally fresh and they have a pretty impressive tensile strength (3000psi i think?)

Back