miss fire on one cyclinder

darren philby

XS400 Member
Reaction score
ok well just rebuilt the bike xs400sh special 2 into a cafe racer. had carbs sonic cleaned new jets, new manifolds new gaskets and seals new coils . i keep getting a misfire on the right hand pot checked for airleaks changed sparks , the pionts seam fine , no excessive spark so im presuming the condensers are fine, starts on the button no probs, messed around with the mixture all to no avail :banghead: anyone have any ideas on this please.

Attachments

• New Image.jpg
    New Image.jpg
    316.8 KB · Views: 221
I'm currently facing the same problem, it pops mostly on deceleration and above ~1600 RPMs. Checked for air leaks, I still feel the header gasket may be the culprit? I am to replace points at the weekend as they're worn out, see what that does!

is your misfire on the right hand cylinder ? your inscription above is almost identical to mine,although i have rebuilt engine and compression tested the cylinders and there fine, all gasket and seals brand new including points and coils.

solved the problem of the misfire, silly really but the live hooked spade connection to the points was made inside the point , eg on the nut side , which made the connection to close to the engine body and allowing it to arc, hence misfire simple and easy to miss, its taken me three weeks to notice, although looking in the manual thats where there supposed to be, but i have a fair bit of bare wire showing , so it looks like ill have to make some new connections, but they work much better , for me ANYWAY , ON THE OUT SIDE, and no misfire

Last edited:
Back