motor oil

BadLuck

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello All, I am a little stumped on what weight oil i should be using in my bike, I have 10w40 in rite now, but i hear a little top end noise after the last ride, I just picked up some 20w50 last night, I have down loaded a manual and one says 20w40,10w40. not sure if i should use 20w50. I live in Michigan and we have been in the 90's one day and 60's the next.I have heard some guys use 15w40. Could someone give me some insight? Thank you:thumbsup:

Ok, Thank you. Im not totally sold on the deisel oil in my bike. But, for those of you that do, I wont even question you.thank you for the reply drewpy

Not to beat a dead horse but diesel grade oils contain more anti-wear additive than found in current auto oils because of stricter regulations. The oils marked "Diesel" are formulated for both diesel engines and hard working gas engines. Our cycle engines certainly qualify as hard working gas engines. Our older design engines also benefit from the 15W40 viscosity of standard diesel oils because the engines were built to slightly less tight tolerances. Mercedes recommended 15W40 for their gas engines for MANY years up until the newer design, low pollution engines. Both my '77 and '90 gas engine Mercedes cars use 15W40 and have for many years - the '77 has 156K miles and the '90 has 123K miles. IMHO, I would NEVER use full synthetic oil in our older engines, SynBlend, as Drewpy uses, is a good way to go but is increasingly difficult to find in the U.S. Diesel oils WILL NOT harm the wet clutch in cycles. Which oil type to use is, of course, your personal decision and I respect that but please make your decision an informed decision based on facts, not hearsay or opinion. You will find diesel grade 15W40 oils recommended all over the Web by those in the know for cycle engines of our vintage.

I'm with badluck I'd rather pay the extra dollar and get a fully synthetic motorcycle oil. Why you may ask, well because it is specifically made for these engines. I don't see the point in using diesal oil when there are oils specifically made for motorcycles. Thats just my opinion though because I know plenty of very knowledgable guys who use diesal oil.

a stated, I use SEMI synth oil

89746.jpg

Possible gasket and seal leaks and definitely not designed for very low viscosity oils. Why spend the money on synthetic oil? When was the last time you have heard of an engine failing because it was serviced regularly but used name brand Dino oil? One day less than never! LOL Besides, most all oils today, including those we call non-synthetic, have synthetics of some sort in them. I am not advocating the use of Dino oils in today's modern engines designed to operate with synthetics, just for our older gen engines.

Drewpy,
As I said above, I do believe SynBlend oils are good because they give some of the best of both worlds but they are very difficult to find now in the U.S. I have used Castrol SynBlend in the past but it is not found easily today. Besides, if you are so inclined, you can make your own SynBlend oil.

Oil is one of the "Hot Button" topics on any motor forum. All of us have our opinions and preferences. Unfortunately, these are often subjective opinions and not based of the facts from the oil industry as well as independent research into oil formulations. I use Valvolene Blue Diesel oil at this time because analysis shows it to have almost as much anti-wear additive as racing oils and considerably more than other Diesel oils. I have used other brands, like Shell Rotella and Penzoil, in the past. You won't have engine failure with any name brand oil but some are just a little better than others. I do not advocate the use of Diesel oil formulated for the modern high performance, low pollution Diesel engine. These oils are dramatically different from the Dino based 15W40 oil I am advocating and not suitable for our older engines. Some folks just can't seem to get past the word "Diesel" when they look at these oils, thinking that oil could never be suitable for a gasser. I just like to see folks make a decision based on facts, not opinions.

Nuff said, I will get off the soap box! LOL

Last edited:
I agree that synthetic oil in an oler engine will clean out a false seal very quick.i know this by experiance. if your engine has not been at least overhauled,resealed, there would be a very high chance you could develop a leaker.

I just put 20w40 motorcycle oil in my 77' XS400 runs smooth. not synthetic. those seals may leak worse if your having problems.

I went to 15-40 diesel oil for about a month but went back to 25w50 MC oil. I am sure the 15-40 is fine but I couldn't stand the racket. 20w50 is quieter.

I'll call myself stupid, but whats the difference in 20-50 and 25-50.????
Because I got 15-40 in 1978 XS 400 now. And it's too noisy. 35,000km never rebuilt. 150 compression.!

Back