Motor replacement

krazyt

XS400 Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine picked up a 82 400 special 2 for a steal but the motor is seized. It has the maxim badges on it but I guess they didn't come out til 83? This is why I am assuming its the special 2, im not super familiar with these bikes. I did do some research but couldn't get a direct answer. :wtf:

Anyways here is a motor I found close by to me at a pretty decent price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/80-xs400-xs...0636&pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

Is this going to work alright for us? What other information can I supply so I know what motor we need. Thank you !!

Sounds like the '82 is a DOHC, and yes, they first came out in '82. There was one year when both SOHC and DOHC were sold. You can look at engine pics, to see, but let me ask this: is there a frame down tube from the steering headstock, in front of the engine, all the way under the engine? SOHC bikes have it, DOHC bikes do not. In DOHC bikes (Maxims), the engine is hung from the frame that runs above and behind the engine, but not in front of it. The engines are not at all interchangeable.

they do match..

IMAG0593.jpg

IMAG0594.jpg

IMAG0595.jpg

It doesn't have the frame running in the front.

Here is the only picture I have right now of the bike

IMAG0571.jpg

12R is a DOHC Maxim. The only engine that is a direct replacement is another DOHC engine. The engine linked from eBay is a SOHC and will not fit.

12R is a DOHC Maxim. The only engine that is a direct replacement is another DOHC engine. The engine linked from eBay is a SOHC and will not fit.

Good call. I think it's a 1983 XS400K Maxim. DOHC (of course). Maybe manufactured in 1982 and maybe also advertised as an 82

I'm no expert on DOHC engines, but I seem to recall that all XS400 DOHC engines are interchangeable, but if I am wrong, hopefully someone will chime in.

Hi guys. This is my bike we are talking about. Krazyt..is my buddy and is helping me out since he happens to be more mechanically inclined than me. We may have found a motor but question about the old motor. Before we bump it should we let it soak overnight?

Hi guys. This is my bike we are talking about. Krazyt..is my buddy and is helping me out since he happens to be more mechanically inclined than me. We may have found a motor but question about the old motor. Before we bump it should we let it soak overnight?

soak it for about a week.i have used sea foam deep creep with good results

Back