Motorcycle cover

Robsteeler66

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
I've been looking on Amazon and eBay for a bike cover. Our garage is storage for all of our stuff right now, so I have to leave it outside until we're done with our house projects. Anyone have any recommendations for a waterproof cover? I did a search and can't find any discussion on here.

You need to be careful with too water proof a cover. If it doesn't breath properly it will not let condensation evaporate.

I'm looking for inexpensive, so that should work. I'll get one that says waterproof and if it's cheap, it probably won't work too well!

I don't think it will be a big issue if you get a winter where you are. Where I am there is literally no humidity in the winter.

As the crow flies, I can't be more than a few hundred miles from you? How far are you from NYC? I'm about 70 miles. Less than 15 minutes will put me across the bridge in Philadelphia. Well, if traffic isn't bad! As far as humidity, we get it every time it warms up. I do worry about condensation a bit. I've got too much stuff in too small of a house and its worse with timber, tiles, sink, toilet, and cabinets all in the same garage! I don't know if I'll ever get my garage back! :(

We have low relative humidity for most of the real winter weather but I encountered a problem whenever the temperature changes.

I keep the fuel tank full to prevent corrosion inside but when the air temp goes up, the tank full of liquid stays cold and the cover ensures that the condensation takes forever to "breath" off. Once removed, it evaporated quickly.
Maybe taking the tank off for the winter is good idea after all.

You can always pull the cover off periodically to let the moisture out :) No one said you couldn't remove it the entire winter!

That's what I do - luckily it's under a carport roof so my cover is more for dust and blowing snow.
I just didn't want Rob in Jersey to wrap it all up in poly and be shocked in the spring.

A couple of pool noodles or some such, under a waterproof wrap would hold the cover away from the bike a bit allowing air to circulate.

these are good and let the bike "breathe"

BIKETENT-270X105X155CM-PCOAT-GREY-Deal01.jpg

Want cheap and breathable? Try house wrap like Typar, Tyvec, or similar. Sew, staple or use a strong tape to join seams. If you make a tube, the bike could be wheeled inside and the openings rolled closed and secured with clothes pegs borrowed from the laundry line. If you then cover it with a tarp that is staked out like a tent to keep the worst of the wind/rain/snow/sun off of it, it should last a number of years.

Most home owners who have done any renovations will have left over wrap, so cost should be minimal. If you find 2 or 3 shipping pallets, you will have a nice platform to put the bike on, with air flow underneath to prevent ground water from wicking up.

I don't have any Tyvec, But I'm going to look around. Sounds like a good way to make the little bike hut that Drewpy showed, without a huge cost. I REALLY need to get the garage sorted so I can get this thing up and running by Spring!

I used the cheapest cover I could find for a few weeks but every time I went to take it off the bike was wet with dew/condensation, no matter how dry the weather was. Now I just don't put anything on, it's out in the rain but at least it gets dry again when the rain stops. I'm very aware of extra damage (especially to the electrical system) and rust forming, and take precautionary measures (greasing connectors regularly for example).

I'd suggest either get a decent breathing cover (so shell out some $$) or don't bother getting anything.

If the bike gets cold then warm it will condensate no matter if the cover breaths or not. A constant temp for the bike would be the only way to stop it. I know not everyone has a heated place to put there bikes but if you can it's the only was to keep them dry.

True. But non breathable covers (like the one I had) will keep the moisture in there after it forms, whereas breathable ones will allow the bike to dry again. For sure a heated garage is by far the best, but I would rank it:

1. heated garage
2. unheated garage
3. open shelter (just under a little roof)
4. breathable cover
5. out in the open, no cover
6. cheap crappy cover which doesn't breathe.

:)

When I had my enduro someone gave me this breathable tarp cover.I sprayed the bike down with wd-40 and periodaly checked on it.Everything stayed good no moisture or rust the following spring.

Back