Mounting left hand brake disc to front wheel.

Yorkshire78

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi all.

My first post on here so be gentle. Acquired an XS a few month ago and the tinkering, modding and improving has begun so I'll probably be bothering you all a lot more in the future.

Been reading on here that a disc will fit on the left hand side of the front wheel as the holes for mounting the disc are already there as the wheel its used on different models. Unfortunately holes are not drilled on my wheel and trying to fit the disc over the hub its a little too small.

Now to me this looks like it could be easily machined down to fit the disc and holes drilled and tapped to bolt the disc down.

Has any one ever come across this or done/had the job themselves? The fork leg on the bike has the mountings for the calliper.

Thanks for any replies.

Thanks for the reply. Yes I have read that post and if you read mine you will see that there are no holes to mount this disc. Maybe I should state that my wheel is mag one a apposed to a spoked one.

If your wheels are like mine there is a black plastic piece that you need to remove first. Looking at your pic in the other thread I do not think you have the mounts for the caliper on the left side. If what I am seeing is correct you would need to find an early left side fork leg.

Hi. I've never uploaded any photos here yet. The fork leg has the mountings for the calliper so all is well there. There its defiantly no holes that are bunged our blocked up but the the disc doesn't fit any way so that's why I'm wondering if machining is the answer.

Y78, I can't believe that your wheel doesn't have the holes as I have never seen one.

I would say it would be easier to get another front wheel if Yamaha have somehow missed machining yours!

Hi. Here are some pictures of my wheel. The first two should show the right hand sidewhich usually has the disc on. The other pictures should show the left side of the wheel with no holes and not machined to accept the disc. I was pushing hard on the screwdriver showing the no bungs were in place. WHEEL.jpg

DSCF2079.jpg

DSCF2080.jpg

DSCF2081.jpg

Last edited:
Can't see your picture just the camera ID.

Use direct up load using the forum tool's attachments or free account like photobucket and paste in the link.

they skipped the holes/machining on mine too.. perhaps you got a set of NA wheels, as it seems most European models had the holes:shrug: Prolly would be cheaper to get another wheel with the holes, unless you have access to equipment I'd put the efforts into a lighter rotor/caliper combo instead... I know a guy who's using a front xs400 caliper as an anchor on his canoe:boxing:

Mine don't have the left holes as well. The xs650's 19" tires have them:shrug: Unless your going to do some real racing one should be enough:wink2:

Must admit that set up looks really nice and probably stands the bike on it's nose! I'll get the thing on the road first and see how it goes, or stops! Thanks for all replies. Great sight, full of info.

Hi. I've never uploaded any photos here yet. The fork leg has the mountings for the calliper so all is well there. There its defiantly no holes that are bunged our blocked up but the the disc doesn't fit any way so that's why I'm wondering if machining is the answer.

Sorry about that. I do not know who I had you confused with.

Back