MPG

NRA-

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here. Glad to find you. I think my son sent me the link.

I have an '82' XS400, well 2.

All the Specs I've read say it gets 55 mpg. However:

The gas milage on the cycle has increased from 56.78 before the oil change and tire inflation to 63.87
since the last 4 fill-ups and from the 8 fill-ups before that, an increase of 7.09 mpg. Wouldn't want to walk the difference.

Just had to share. Will try and post a photo of mine. Don't know how yet, of course.

Here it is.

Sorry the photo is so small, but at least it doesn't show the discolored engine. Will see about a better photo after I clean it up next time.

Attachments

• Yamaha.bmp
    87.9 KB · Views: 367
Last edited:
I just noticed there was another post about mileage [08-09-2011]. Could of sworn I did a search and didn't see any. Maybe I misspelled mpg lol.

Oh, I'm about 185 lb, usually wear a backpack with a few things in it. I like to know I can stop and do a little shopping if the mood hits me. I am starting to slow down [well not slow down exactly, but not pushing it here and there] a little which of course helps with the mileage. My bike is all stock except for the pipes as far as I can tell. I put the Max pressure in the tires, 42 lb, I think. The tires are low mileage. I have a little leather pouch hanging in front around the forks. Wonder if that might help with air-flow [just a thought]. My riding is some in town, just a little over 1 mile to work, and since the oil-change and pumped up tires have only been ridding up to 35 - 50 mph. Haven't been on I-79 lately where I try to go 70, but seldom 80. Oh, wait I did get on the turnpike where I pretty much stayed at 70 mph till it rained [that was about 100 mile each way]. So that's all I can think of that might contribute to my mileage.
Yours may vary. [I just had to say that].
Thanks for reading my posts

Oh mine is a 400 Maxim! So, it might not be an XS after all. sorry for any confusion,

That pressure on the tire is the max pressure at the max load. That much pressure makes the tire pretty hard. Must ride a bit harsh.
It might improve the gas mpg but it won't help the tire milage.
The tires are designed to have some sidewall flex. This flex absorbs road shock and helps keep a good contact patch between you and the road to help with braking acceleration and cornering.
Different tires need different pressures to get max performance and tire life.
I find the pressure the tires need by setting the tires at 30 front and 35 rear. Take the bike on at least a 15 minute ride at 50-55 mph. Pull over and check the hot pressure. It should read 3 lbs over the cold pressure. If it reads less than 3 lbs your cold pressure is to high. If it reads more than 3 lbs the cold pressure is too low.
Let the tires get cooled down, at least 45 minutes. Adjust the cold pressure as needed. Ride again. recheck hot pressure. Do this till you get the 3 lb change from hot to cold.
Remember this pressure and keep your tire at that pressure.
If you load up for a trip or ride double then you need to recheck the pressures. Higher loads need higher pressures.
This has worked on any vehicle I have ever had. Cars, trucks, trailers.
Leo

Thanks for the info on finding your tire pressure, Got to try that sometime, when I find the time.

Also got an update. My last tank of gas took me down to 53.xx mpg. Seems to be the Winter ethanol gas mixture given us by the Wacky environmentalists who happen to be selling us the ethanol and taking the subsidys.

Back