muffler collars not sealing

Ryno

Life is a great adventure
Reaction score
While putting my mufflers back on my bike I noticed space between the engine and the muffler collar even after ive tightened them. After the bike has ran for a few minutes it starts to exert steam and form condensation on the pipes.

Did I do something wrong putting these back on? Is it unsafe to run the bike without the complete seal?

I think you mean exhaust collars. I've never had to take mine apart so I can't see what you may have done wrong. The gap will cause an exhaust leak and cause you to run lean. Your engine isn't going to blow up but definitely work on getting that seated up tight.

It's normal to see a gap of about 8mm. Do what scorpio says, it is possible you have them in backwards. Also put them in vertical, one at the bottom, then the other on top so the gaps are at 3 and 9 o'clock.

ulg1.png

The exhaust collar (unnumbered above) does not seal against anything. It's job is to be tightened down on the exhaust flanges (5) pushing the rim of the exhaust header so that the header pipe seals against the exhaust gasket (4).

Are your exhaust gaskets in place? They are hollow copper with a round cross section and crush when the exhaust collar is tightened. They can be reused, but may not seal well if not oriented exactly the way they were originally installed. My exhaust seals fine and there is space between the exhaust collar and the exhaust port:

headersb.jpg

Back