My $50 XS400 Find

Carolinarooster

79' XS400
Reaction score
Screen%20Shot%202015-04-13%20at%205.02.46%20PM.png
Hi, new here to the forum and motorcycles in general. I picked up a 79? XS400 for $50, and to haul off some junk. I think I scored... the engine has compression and the bike seems somewhat salvageable. Ive began stripping of some of the crap already...Thanks for all the help and shit.

Can you weld, or do you know a welder? You're going to need some frame spars between the shock mounts and the tank mount or any good bump is going to buckle your frame.

High fives on a $50 bike. Maybe we should start the $50 cycle club, since I got mine for the same.

Looks like your bike needs a little love. Not sure on the year by looks, but with the vin and a little investigating the forum, you should be able to find out whatever you need to know. If it helps, my '79 starts out 2LO and is a xs400f.

That's going to need a lot of work. Definitely on the frame:doh: Does it have a title?

Thank you guys so much for taking a look at it...
On the arrows above... the photo i took was tilted as you can see in the previous photo on the background shelves
Screen%20Shot%202015-04-14%20at%2012.10.00%20PM.png
... I leveled the picture as seen here. Does this make it look less warped?

Rotating the photo won't change the fact that those arrows don't line up. Whoever chopped the center seat bracing out weakened the frame in such a way that any force exerted on the rear wheel and through the rear shocks is folding the back half of the bike up and forward with the pivot point being where the swingarm meets the frame, just behind the engine.

In order to correct this, you could put a porta-power between the top of the rear shocks and the back of the frame neck, slowly force it back apart, take lots of careful measurements, and weld in some seat bracing to "finish the triangle" in the frame.

Another option could be to chop the rear and get a hardtail kit, if that's your thing, or maybe go the other direction and fab up a monoshock in that thing.

It's bent 4.5 degrees. But for $50 you have a steal. You probably can just add stiffeners to prevent further bending.

Attachments

• IMG_2599 copy.jpg
    IMG_2599 copy.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 275
  • Screen Shot 2015-04-14 at 8.30.09 AM copy.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-04-14 at 8.30.09 AM copy.jpg
    250 KB · Views: 291
It's actually bent worse than that. You can see the bend in the middle of the rear down tube.

I wouldn't trust my life with that, even if it could be bent back and made to 'look' fixed.

Whoever removed the center bracing need to be kicked it the ass:doh: You could always hard tail it. :)

Most hardtail kits for bobbers or whatnot would chop off the whole rear bent section of bike, so I think you would be fine doing that. If you're still looking to do a tracker, you could chop the back half off, weld a loop and bracket on the swingarm and a bracket on the rear of the backbone of the frame (between the carbs somewhere) and put a monoshock in there.

Like:
10915183_664970620282063_7565894677438294054_n.jpg

aight, I'm about to order a hardball kit. I saw one on voodoo customs... should i order a pre welded on for $299 or a unassembled one for $159, since ill have to have it welded to the existing frame eventually anyways?

Back