My Bratstyle build

cool! throw up some pictures as i've been eyeing r6 front and rear masters at the dealership and if they are feasable. is the bore size similar to our stock ones?

I've heard some r6 parts fit easily not sure if it was those but i think it might have been I know gsxr parts fit

cool! throw up some pictures as i've been eyeing r6 front and rear masters at the dealership and if they are feasable. is the bore size similar to our stock ones?

i cant get the bike out of the garage atm... long story :p
so i cant really make a good picture

all you'd need to do to make it work is make a small bracket for the fluid reservoir, and look into the brakelight switch

i think the r6 master is a bit overpowered for a single caliper xs400 system, but as far as i can tell right now it seem to works nicely

i picked up a sportster petcock from the local HD dealer :)

the build's on hold for a short while, been really busy with college etc :(

Thanks. You need to get your priorities in order. 1-Build the bike, 2-Report to us your progress, 3-Education. Pull it together man, you're better than that!

Hey guys, I've mounted the r6 brake masterr, but I can't seem to get it to work! (filled it with brake fluid in the way mentioned in the xs400 guide)
With the stock one I had the problem that braking was 'all or nothing', just a small tap on the lever and the brakes were completely on... At first i thought it was the caliper that may have been stuck, so I swapped that out for a (according to the seller) good one, but still the same problem...
So i was faced with the choice of taking apart both calipers or blaming the stock brake master, which was in a ghastly state anyway... Then I came across a good bargain on a nice R6 master, so I wanted to give that a shot: Still same problem
Are both calipers stuck then? I'm pretty sure there's no air in the lines or anything...
The problem I'm facing if i need to take apart the caliper is that I'm unlikely to get the cylinder out as I don't have a compressor or anything

So what do the experts think? :)

About the build: been a bit lazy :D Been working slowly on getting a nice base for the seat done, and been trying to get it to run smoothly... I wanna make a fail oiltank for all the electric stuff, though problem is that I don't have anywhere to place the bulky battery (I wanna keep the ignition), anyone have a good idea about that?

I wonder if the brake pipe has collasped/kinked?

This will let fluid through under pressure but fail to return. You may have to renew your brake line.

it's a steel brake line that seems to be in good shape, all be it a bit long
hadn't really considered the line before though, good idea to check that though :)

looks good, get wiring done and ride that thing.
I just got a stock xs400 and like you said I hate the way the orginal frame looks unless you're going to build a tracker or cafe. I am curious how you got that drop seat done because i have been wanting to do the same thing. I don't know if i missed the part of the thread where you talked about the rear shocks and modified seat rails, did you just use a pipe bender to bend the original rails? what type of shocks are those? :thumbsup:

Did you end up getting the brakes figured out? I wouldn't be worried about taking apart the calipers they are a breeze unless they are totally frozen. The seals are rather cheap aswell. I'm looking to change both my front and rear master on my bike. I would have atleast kept the rear but the reservoirs on the front and back are toast from years of uv and general lack of maintenance. I'm curious how the R6 master worked? I've been considering getting complete rear sets with the master, kill two birds with one stone.

Thanks

Shaun

Fjew its been a while but i'm back! Have to admit that I haven't had anytime in months to work on the bike. Should have a couple of weeks off beginning next year so hope to have the bike ready to ride!
@smokeyburnout
I bought shorter shocks from the dutch version of mike's xs and (together with someone who's actually good at welding and has a pipe bender) cut off the rear section and redid it entirely, its not quite that difficult, just a bit more work than using the standard frame :)

@Shaun Chandler
I'm pretty sure both calipers i have are frozen, and i'm going to need a compressor to pop them out. Once I've got everything working I'll be sure to post how the master works on a xs caliper :)

Pics of that new rearsection would be sweet!
i do like a nice rear. ;)

good to hear about some progress! I will be updating my thread soon too. :)

Hah! Guess who's back!?

I know it has been a while, but I finally got some work done on the bike!
Made a seat pan from a cutting board, gonna send it to an seat expert who will hopefully make a very nice seat for me!
Also managed to make a box for the big old battery and another one for all the electric stuff... and some small stuff all around :p
Some poor pics will have to do as these parts (don't even mention the bike!) are far from finished hehe

img0712vf.jpg

img0702rc.jpg

obviously the oddly shaped hole in the side of the electrics box is for the ignition :laugh:

Don't mind the mess in the garage :laugh:

Also got some mechanical work done... Found someone with a compressor willing to help my with my stuck calipers. The original 4G5 caliper is still crazily stuck and won't budge, but I got the piston out of the 2A2 caliper so I can now get a revision set for that one and hopefully I'll have a functioning brake soon xD

The gusset area can be dealt with by building it up with Bondo[or your favorite brand]. Then paint it with the same paint as the frame. It looks good,as I have used it on a few chopper frames back in the '60s and '70s. This gives a finished look to the area and can be removed if needed later and leave it like it was before. Also,a box for the electronics,battery can be made from a length of 3" or 4" plastic pipe with threaded plugs for ends,so that access can be had from either side. lha

Back