My first build.......

dodger0129

amatuer/enthusiast builde
Reaction score
Hello all..............thought I would post a few pics of my first go at building a bike.I don't have any experience of bike building,but got the bug from "Biker Build-off" and "build or Bust" to name a couple.I'm really into the basic,stripped down Bobber style of bike,with as little on it as possible!.I like the older style......wire wheels,drum brakes,modest wheel widths.The Zero style of bikes also has had a big influence on my ideas for my own bike.Sometimes I find it hard to stick to the look i'm after as I see something in a magazine or on the tv and want to put it all on my own build!! haha.....
Anyways,that's a bit about me.
As for the bike....
I started out with a 1974 xs250 with the intention of doing a cafe build as the rigid bobber frames I was after were just too much money!!.So,after much chopping,grinding and head scratching I had a rolling chassis for my cafe bike,then disaster....I discovered one of the cast bottom engine mounts had a crack in it,and,on further inspection completely broke of!!....So,the hunt for a new motor began.I eventually picked up an XS400 DOHC in pretty good order,and for decent money.Then began the problem of trying to shoe-horn it into the 250 frame(almost impossible!)
While in the middle of more head scratching,up for sale on Ebay popped a hardtailed Honda nighthawk frame for decent money,and 5 days later and a faithfull "auction snipe" it was mine!
I set about selling all the old XS250 bits and bobs to fund the new project,the results so far you can see in the photos.
So far I have a rolling chassis mocked up,I've had the motor in the frame(tight squeeze...I had to recess out the underside of the top tube for clearance!),and I have mocked up some new motor mount brackets which a mate of a mate is doing for me(as dont have any welding equipment or skills!!.
I'm still using the 250 front end,complete with original bars,reversed and upside down.
It'll run a disc up front and I have a rear wheel from a SR250 with drum brake.I am currently making a side mount number plate mount,with ariel style tail light.

So far the forum's been loads of help and everyone so encouraging,so THANKS and here's the pics......

Attachments

• IMG_1337.jpg
    IMG_1337.jpg
    269 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_1340.jpg
    IMG_1340.jpg
    302 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_1408.jpg
    IMG_1408.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_1409.jpg
    IMG_1409.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_1411.jpg
    IMG_1411.jpg
    301.6 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
welcome, looking good and well done getting the dohc lump into another frame :thumbsup:

if you don't find you have enough power with 250cc's you could always get a 400 lump as they are nearer 45bhp.

Cheers drewpy.....it is the 400 DOHC lump that I have in there now.
The 250 was in the cafe bike.
Sure was a tight squeeze but fills the front loop nicely!!
More pics to follow....

Back