My first project :)

Gabys79

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just wanted to say hello and introduce myself. Just got a 79 xs400 and first project bike ever. Thinking about going the bobber route. Needs some work and not sure where to start. Rides but is not really road ready (ride it anyway) no speedo, tach, signals .. etc
The pic looks great but up close can see it needs some tlc, just not too sure where to start :)
gabys79xs400.jpg

welcome to the site Gab, love the photo very "arty"

looks cafe style with the location, but do whatever floats your boat!

welcome to the site Gab, love the photo very "arty"

looks cafe style with the location, but do whatever floats your boat!

Thanks. A lot to learn ;p Loved what you did with the bike on your blog. Looks Amazing!!

Here are some more pictures. The first picture I posted makes the bike look really good. The following pictures are more realistic to what it looks like. I know this is a noob thing, but I kinda don't know where to start from here. Like I said it drives, but I don't know what I need to start doing first. It is a fun ride, the front tire has a center tread (???) so it wants to just go straight, feels really crazy trying to turn at slow speeds. Even if I knew I wanted to go cafe or bobber, which I keep going back and forth, lol, but should I just break it down and or have it checked out to make sure the engine is good. ???
318594_2118152154516_1267128579_32115279_312642837_n.jpg
301272_2118153114540_1267128579_32115281_1397980895_n.jpg

296813_2118149194442_1267128579_32115278_1907841514_n.jpg

I don't think you should open the engine unless you know there's a problem and you're confident that you can fix it. Since you're not sure whether cafe' or bobber is your thing, methinks you probably shouldn't mess with it too much! Look for inspiration online, or even better: see if you can ride one that someone else has finished, as that's probs the best way to fall in love with the design of a bike. Until you have it figured out, get your baby road worthy and have fun with her! You never know how things about your bike will grow on you; I hated the idea of spoke rims before I got my '81 XS400SH, and now I love 'em.

if u dont knitace anything when riding. like knotching or a crutching sounds i wouldnt open it up. replace the tire or get it inspected. replace the chain if it needs it.well if u dont want the clip ons ill take thm off your hands :) go to the link in my siggy for neglected xs and will tell u everything

I think it has a great stance or profile as it sits. If it were mine, I would leave it as is for a while and just start detailing it and get used to where and what everything is and does. Has that cafe vibe now and looks kind of tough. A little polishing and some paint here and then you may be happy enough with it till your big idea comes along.

Thanks so much guys :) I appreciate the input. I have decided on going the cafe racer style. I really want to be able to ride it ... my new toy, lol, thing is that it takes me like 30 minutes to get it started. Once started I can easily (well not EASILY), but can get it started. Most of what I want to do is cosmetic and finding parts I like is not very easy :( I would like different foot pegs clutch and brake sides but to go further back instead of mid-controls. And a cafe racer style seat. And and and and and..... hehehe :)

check out what DOUGH BOY did to his. looks the exact same cept for an XS, and not an SR im sure he can help.

Just checked out Dough Boy's, Looks Great!!

I still can't figure out where you guys are putting the battery????

Thats a good look for the 400.

are you kicking it for half an hour?
Maybe do a check up so that everything is okay, shouldn't be that hard.
Whats your startup routine? :)

If you go kick only on the bike you can get away with a much smaller battery! Then you can hide it under the seat. :)

Good luck with your build!

I have a kick start only. I used a 4lb agm scooter battery from Wal-Mart for like $30. It's held a charge all season and I only drive it every 2 weeks at most now. Currently my battery is on the swing-arm.

Thats a good look for the 400.

are you kicking it for half an hour?
Maybe do a check up so that everything is okay, shouldn't be that hard.
Whats your startup routine? :)

If you go kick only on the bike you can get away with a much smaller battery! Then you can hide it under the seat. :)

Good luck with your build!

Routine: key in ignition, switch to on, petcock on, choke on. Kick, Kick, Kick, Kick, stop rest, Kick Kick Kick Kick ugh!! Rest. lol

Battery seemed a bit low, so put it on the trickle charger. ( I don't know if that has anything to do with the kick start ) Anyway, now the lights are brighter and down the check list ... Kick Kick .. ooooh sounded like something wanted to start. .. Kick Kick.. VROOOOMMM!!! Wooo Hooo!!!!

Found one of those itty bitty batteries on ebay, 12V-8Ah-SLA-Sealed-Lead-Acid-AGM-Battery might try it to see how it goes.

Yeah keep a charge on the battery else it'll be a fight to get it to start these bikes need the battery for ignition. After you get a good charge on it try your same routine and see if ya get anything.

Posted via Mobile

do you set the pet cock on prime first. ergo: it primes fuel into the carbs.

might help in getting started quicker!

Back