My first project :)

Are you waiting a few seconds for the bowls to fill with fuel on prime before kicking it over? Try adding a small amount of throttle when kick starting.

do you set the pet cock on prime first. ergo: it primes fuel into the carbs.

might help in getting started quicker!

Actually it has a manual petcock, since the original is froze up. :( So, just turn to on.

Are you waiting a few seconds for the bowls to fill with fuel on prime before kicking it over? Try adding a small amount of throttle when kick starting.

Crazy, but with a full charge on the battery, it starts now with like half a kick.. hahaha. I thought kick start did not need electric. Hey, I'm starting to figure it out a little.. :)

Just pulled the seat and made a mock up seat out of cardboard, but have no idea how to go from cardboard to a real seat :( As well as if I should try to use the original seat pan. ufff....

9ee072e3.jpg

f76152a4.jpg

ef465fc8.jpg

Mask everything off or work over a drop cloth
Cover cardboard with aluminum tape (home depot, forms like tin foil but sticks well)
Cover aluminum tape with paste car wax
Fiberglass
Sand
Body filler
Sand
Clean
Paint

If you want more details just ask :)

Oh, before you go further make sure you can mount the custom seat you're considering making. Attaching it to the bike can be a pain, at least if you want it to be easily detachable.

Hello and welcome to the forum. Just wanted to know what was to number of your bike. It seems that this model was a low production number bike I have only seen a few and the greatest vin number I have seen was 2v6-002230 mine is 2v6-001578 Check out my photo album to see what it looked like new. I am restoring mine to all original I need to update the photos after some work I did but these are a good idea. Good luck with your build:thumbsup:

If you want more details just ask

Oh, before you go further make sure you can mount the custom seat you're considering making. Attaching it to the bike can be a pain, at least if you want it to be easily detachable.
Thanks Bcware, I need all the help I can get :) It takes me forever to make a decision on exactly what I want. I am going to do another mock up, but like you said, I am not sure how to attach it to the bike. I have seen a couple that looks like they use straps that might button on, so you have access below.

Hello and welcome to the forum. Just wanted to know what was to number of your bike. It seems that this model was a low production number bike I have only seen a few and the greatest vin number I have seen was 2v6-002230 mine is 2v6-001578 Check out my photo album to see what it looked like new. I am restoring mine to all original I need to update the photos after some work I did but these are a good idea. Good luck with your build:thumbsup:

I am the proud new owner of 002778, so closer to the top :)

Could be one of the last ones of this model made. In the 70's yamaha only made a few thousand of some of its models.

In the middle of making my seat but my plan is to use the original pan as a template. Might take a few steps but you can glass on the bottom of the original let it set up use that as a mold to glass over an vuala you have a seat pan that fits stock but is fiberglass, in my case carbon. Looks like you might beat me but I'll post up picks of the steps when I'm done.

Decided to break it down. Can anybody fill in the blanks here on what the top fuse is for?

fcba91b4.jpg

I am not too organized with my tools :)

6dabc360.jpg

Please clean that fuse box up or get rid of it. The metal in the box gets brittle when exposed to the elements and the prongs snap off. What's with the rogue wire piggybacking off your ignition fuse? The glass fuses are hard to find in the right size in a local store; everyone seems to carry a style slightly longer and skinnier. I switched to blades.

Definitely!! It is already off the bike and in a ziplock for reference. Now just pulling everything off and deciding on next steps.

love the progress starting to look great. glad you ask about the seat i am deciding on the seat thing as well. like the look you are going for. This is what i did for fuses, the black stuff at the connections is the brush on electrical tape to keep out moisture out, the fuse block can be had through summit racing.

Attachments

• newfuseblock.jpg
    newfuseblock.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 226
love the progress starting to look great. glad you ask about the seat i am deciding on the seat thing as well. like the look you are going for. This is what i did for fuses, the black stuff at the connections is the brush on electrical tape to keep out moisture out, the fuse block can be had through summit racing.

Yayyy!!! Sometimes, I just don't know where to start on the growing list of parts needed. :)

Word. my wife keeps asking is that it? I just laugh inside and say yea of course. knowing that there is still alot more needed

Word. my wife keeps asking is that it? I just laugh inside and say yea of course. knowing that there is still alot more needed

:wtf: I think all wives are like this. My wife knows i want to work on my bike and i need to save some money back from my paychecks for parts but always finds something else we need to spend the money on.:banghead:

I have been waiting patiently for an opportunity to order parts but by the time i get home from work on payday there is no money left to use unless i want to go without transportation for the next two weeks and walk the two miles to work.:yikes:

This weekend i was planning on having the gaskets for the float bowls on the carb, oil and filter for an oil change (during which time i was looking at checking the points and cleaning the contacts), was also planning to have new plugs and ignition coils put on.:thumbsup:
Instead i am stuck at home waiting till next payday on the 17th. Of course halloween is coming up and she will want me to postpone my project even further so she can use the extra cash for costumes and makeup for the kids and her. I may have to wait till i get my income tax refund in march and then hire someone to help me get it road ready all at once instead of working on it little by little through the winter as i planned.:doh:

... and then there is Thanksgiving, Christmas and don't forget Valentines day!! You might be waiting until March after all, unless her birthday falls somewhere between there. :)

Yup in january!!

The only way i can see me progressing before march is if i sold the 3 computers i rebuilt at work. at 150 bucks a computer i would have enough to at least get the engine going.

Last edited:
Back