My mirrors suck.

staycryptic

Under there.
Reaction score
Seriously.

They're terrible.

The stock mirrors on my 81 XS400 are garbage. I can never adjust them so I could see anything behind me, they blur from vibration, and their field of vision is too damn narrow.

What am I doing wrong here?

Well, assuming your bike is in proper tune, the carbs. are synced, and the mirrors are firmly installed in the controls which are nice and tight, as are the bars, there's not much to do about the vibration.

As far as the field of view, in my right mirror I can see directly behind me and the right blind spot. I can't see directly behind me with the left, but that should be adjusted to see beside you anyway. I suppose you can get big 'ol mirrors, but I think you would be better served by keeping your neck muscles limber for a good look around.

get one of these! see for miles behind you

Mirror%20on%20motorbike.jpg

Well, assuming your bike is in proper tune, the carbs. are synced, and the mirrors are firmly installed in the controls which are nice and tight, as are the bars, there's not much to do about the vibration.

As far as the field of view, in my right mirror I can see directly behind me and the right blind spot. I can't see directly behind me with the left, but that should be adjusted to see beside you anyway. I suppose you can get big 'ol mirrors, but I think you would be better served by keeping your neck muscles limber for a good look around.

The bike's running great and everything's in check, it's just the damn view of these things. Im thinking it might be me. Im 6'2", 230lbs and I might be a little too wide for the bike. My arms block behind me..

I'll look around for a convex replacement maybe.

The bike's running great and everything's in check, it's just the damn view of these things. Im thinking it might be me. Im 6'2", 230lbs and I might be a little too wide for the bike. My arms block behind me..

I'll look around for a convex replacement maybe.

6'3" and 230# here, so I know what you mean.

Back