my new project/ first bike/81 xs400h

That muffler looks fine; with your huge rear tire and swing arm it does not look out of place at all.

holy shit. this thing is gonna be so damn kick ass i cant even contain myself. lol i wish it was mine. and +1 on bcware. that exhause looks right at home about that tire.

thanks Volcom!

the muffler looks right, but its too big for my taste, I really want the end of the bike to end there so if you look at the side view of the bike nothing extends past the center line of the rear tire

I tried shoving the muffler down some more but its will eventually get in the way of the swingarm....a smaller muffler would easily do the trick.

ill play around with the look of it some more soon but Im gona make the mounting of my rear sets priority over the exhaust right now.

Im pretty surprised at how well that x-member came out, It only took me 20 minutes to make an finish weld, Took my three tries to nail the xbrace on my Mini before It looked like I wanted it too.

anayways, later today the motor actually gets put in, That will be interesting.

Heim joints for my shifter linkages for the rear sets and the adjustable lower dogbone link are on order and will hopefully be here tomorro :)

made some progress this weekend, not the kind that is exciting and looks like ive actually got something done, but the kind that you need to do once all the big projects are out of the way.

Installed the engine and figured out my offset, once I can adjust my ride height in the rear (links coming today hopefully) I will be able to get the front to rear sprocket alignment dead nuts on. I ordered the sprocket yesterday, its going to be a custom made deal with 1 3/16 offset. I ordered it in a 17 tooth version because the lowest rear sprocket I can buy is a 40T (hoping 17/40 wont be too low).

Because of the excess time it would take for the guy making the sprocket to get it hardened, It looks like Ill be hardning it my self. Ive read up on case hardening and it looks like the old heat it up, quench in oil then repeat in water trick will do fine.

got the front brakes mounted yesterday and got them blead well, they feel great.

waiting on a caliper slide bolt for the rear caliper, and then I can mock up where my rear sets are going to go, the rear brake line is going to push my rear sets pretty far back, hope its not uncomfortable.

welded a piece in on the tail, still need to finshs weld it then im going to sink all of my led's in there...kind of looks like a beavers tail

2011-04-10_15-19-07_343.jpg

I cant stand the ugly blue wheel, these calipers are powder coated green, gona have to get that off somehow :wtf:
2011-04-10_15-18-36_807.jpg

anyone have any reccomendations on tires? Im gona run a 190/50/17 in the rear and 120/17 up front. I need to stay in the decently cheep zone because my budget is hurting....what brands should I stay away from?

little bit of an update, got the links for my suspention in and I'm gona make my final adjustable versions this weekend. I need to have them 1 inch longer than the link is now, that drops the rear a lot and makes the stance less aggressive (dont really like the look of it). It needs to be done though because otherwise the chain will rub on the front of the swing arm because of the excessive angle.

Ive decided to go with shinko raven tires, they are about 180 for a set (shipped to my door), Ive read reviews and people say they are a great tire for the price and they wear well in commuting situations

also got my hugger fender in, couldnt pass up on it for the deal on ebay and it kind of completes the jagged edge look of the swing arm.

I cant wait to have the bike in the stage where it can roll and stop under its own power, my biggest issues then will be mounting the battery, headlight, and rear directionals, rear sets will go on tomorro most likely and i have all the links to make a propper gear shifter link

gona sand and do some filler on the tank (hopefully) this weekend and finish weld the tail piece on

looks good with the tank on, even better with the motor in, cant believe i never took a pic of it when i was mocking it all up.

2011-04-13_18-33-46_398.jpg

this is how the bike sits now, with me on it and the engine init squats about an inch, i really hope it dosnt look like crap when its another 2-3 inches lower in the back

2011-04-13_18-33-01_484.jpg

2011-04-13_18-32-45_671.jpg

haha, I think the reflector make it look like something out of TRON

the mudguard finishes it nicely, pluss it give the state troopers less room to hassle me :D

can you use the indicators that sit inside the lamps?

saw them in action today and look really cool and you don't have to have them stoopid stalks.

the rear lamp was a dual affair, like my tracker lamp and one side of the red went off whilst the amber flashes!

is that using the stock lamp Drewpy?

btw, are those lights on the front of your tracker brightenough? ive got one of those I was thinking about using for a while

Last edited:
couple more pics, just cause I can.

made the lower links last night, two pieces of threaded rod on the lathe, lowered it a good 2 inches, as you can see in the third pic, the chain angle is mucho better

thing I reallly dont like about lowering it is that it changed the angle of the links in comparison to the rocer link, thus making the rear end much softer....im going to need to address that somehow, I may have to redo the tabs on the frame and make them lower, or just crank up on the springs preload

ive taken the engine in and out so man freakin times now I can install it back in in one fluid motion :)

2011-04-14_18-31-47_255.jpg

2011-04-14_18-31-14_388.jpg

2011-04-14_18-31-38_357.jpg

It's looking pretty bad ass. When you pulled the engine did you lay the bike on its side or do you have a lift? I saw some other large lifting devices in your other photos so I figured you probably have an engine hoist already.

I just put the motor in and out by hand, its not too bad when you get a good method, head leaned back, drop the oil filt housing in the v of the frame then slide the ass end of the motor in.....of course im gona be a bit more carefull when the frame is painted so ill probaby do the frame on its side/drop in method

that barn has a pretty extensive aluminum skeleton that has a truck winch wounted on a sliding rail, thats how I load/unload the bike when its got the motor in

...kinda my mad scientist lair :D...no fabrication in that barn tho, it would go up like a roman candle if I welded there

That looks quite nice. Do you have the wiring figured out yet? Just switching to smaller turn signals with a standard type bulb is not drawing enough current to trip my flasher. Also, using a smaller standard bulb tail light also does not have enough resistance to cause a low/high brightness when applying the brakes. I tested the variable brightness of the brake light and it is indeed dependent upon resistance. Without a resister inline the small brake light stays the same brightness, but with a resister inline I get variable brightness.

Auto flashers should work fine, but in the past I bought an "led flasher" and it did not fix the problem in my car. Ultimately I ended up using load resistors. Recently I checked out radioshack online and they state that stores typically carry some of the larger resistor on hand. This is the route I will probably go.

yep I had the whole bike working with all my ledflashers before I tore it apart, I just rigged up a hiddlen incandesant style bulb to make it work, I will be using load resistors when I put it all back together. I bought an LED flasher from customled.com but it still was not sensitive enough (both sides blinked simultaniously)

on that note...do the front and rear makers splice off of one wire somewhere in the harness? id rather buy one resistor for each side and install it beforte each side splits than go ahead and buy one for each corner...if that makes sense.

this is how im going to set up my leds in the rear, i allready have them so its only a matter of drilling holes, the small ones in the middle are 3/4 rounds with 4leds in each and the bog ones are 1 1/2 round with 8leds in each

biketail.jpg

49bucks for that cbr flasher is super cheep dough, if I had know they were that cheep i'd have gone that route

soooo...im not putting my spedo back on the bike....will that screw up my flasher time/distance delay?

Tires: Yep, you did good with Shinko. They are a decent quality tire at a good price. In case you don't know, the Shinko tire brand was the Yokohama brand before they sold their cycle/scooter line to what is now Shinko. I have a set on my large scoot and they made a dramatic difference in handling over the O.E. Chinese tires. I would have put those on my XS400 but couldn't get a matched set in the sizes I needed. Went with IRC brand.

on that note...do the front and rear makers splice off of one wire somewhere in the harness? id rather buy one resistor for each side and install it beforte each side splits than go ahead and buy one for each corner...if that makes sense.

As far as I can tell, based on converting my entire car to leds, you can add the load resistors anywhere inline with any bulbs; i.e. you could stick all of them on one wire in series. I did all 4 blinkers, my tail lights, reverse lights, and license plate lights and only added the resistors to the tail lights which fixed everything. In a circuit resistance should add from any point along the way; this is how circuits are "simplified" like an algebra problem when solving circuits in physics.

Special leds designed for variable brightness can occasionally "leak" current. My expensive variable tail light leds did and I just added a few diodes from radioshack. When I hit the brakes my dash board would light up without them :)

I am probably going to give a cheap autozone flasher a try once I am ready.

oliver, thanks for the info on the shinko's I never knew they used to be yokahama, the tire thats on the rear of the bike now was a shinko stealth 190/50/17. whoever parted the bike ROASTED the rear tire, Im actually impressed on how long it took to blow because it only has about 1/8 of tire/chords before it blew. (split down the middle)

thanks Volcom :thumbsup:, hopefully ill get it running and all set in 2 weeks, ive got some long weekends coming up and ive only got 8 work days left of this Co-Op job im on (then 2 weeks before summer simester for school). sprocket should get here soon, needs welding gas then I can weld on some gussets for the frame and then brackets for my rear sets (of course the wiring, battery placement and all that will probably give me fits)....bottom line is that it needs to be road worthy in about 3 weeks...quite a hefty goal

thanks drewps, I do love the simplicity of the xs, ive got a thing for turning old neglected stuff into cool stuff, its allready gailed some atention from my girlfriends boss, apparenly he builds Cafe syle bikes over in the UK...ill have to get his name

BC, LEDs are weird stuff, is it your red subaru that is all led? thats a cool car, it definently sounded the part

Back