My project: 79 XS400 restoration

stormtracker

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi all, a newbee here, as I just joined. Found this site while Googling various stuff on my XS400 project. I actually bought the bike brand new in 1979 from my local Yamaha dealer.
I had a great time with it, then in the late 80's I bought a 82 Harley Sportster and that became my primary ride. Never was a big Harley fan, but the price was right from a friend.
The Yamaha sat for many years outside under a truck cap and now I want to bring it back to life.
I started with the carbs knowing that they would be bad. So bad that the throttle wouldn't move. Well I finished rebuilding the carbs today. This next week it will be onto checking out the points and electronics.
Any helpful tips or info is appreciated.
TIA
km

welcome to the forum :)

there is a thread in here that outlines the steps needed to bring it back to life

Wow, that's alot of information in there. All helpful, many thanks.
Well I started checking the electrical system and figure it's a good time to upgrade the fuse block. I had replaced it some time ago but I went with a glass fuse type similar to OEM. Any info on where to get the other (spade) type of block. Is it generic? maybe a boat store as for a corrosion resistant block? or is there a replacement for the OEM?
Also anyone have the layout of which fuse is for what ?
Thanks again.
Pics coming soon.
km

Do a research on fuse box, some pictures of the fuses& sizes....Go on E-Bay or to your local auto parts store and look at the fuse boxes...You should be able to find something...Spad

Back