Need help diagnosing a problem

SiverTalon, That's one of the two oilfilters. One before the oil pump, one after. That one is the one after the oil pump. It was behind a round cover in the right side engine cover.
The one before the oil pump is called a sump filter, it is mounted on the inside of the engine. It can be reached by removing the sump plate. The sump plate is where the front oil drian plug screws into. It can be removed by removing the 6 bolts that hold it in. The Sump filter is mounted to the sump plate. If like most it has tears in the brass screen. You can either replace with a new one or patch the tears in the old one. I like JB Weld for this.
While you have the sump plate of look for long strips of black plastic on the plate or around the inside of the engine where the plate bolts on. These are pieces from the plastic part of the front cam chain guide.
Leo

I think I'm finally good to go. Bike is running good. seems to be a lttle buzzing from the coil area every now and then.

Only thing left to do now is to figure out why my speedometer is sticking

SiverTalon, That's one of the two oilfilters. One before the oil pump, one after. That one is the one after the oil pump. It was behind a round cover in the right side engine cover.
The one before the oil pump is called a sump filter, it is mounted on the inside of the engine. It can be reached by removing the sump plate. The sump plate is where the front oil drian plug screws into. It can be removed by removing the 6 bolts that hold it in. The Sump filter is mounted to the sump plate. If like most it has tears in the brass screen. You can either replace with a new one or patch the tears in the old one. I like JB Weld for this.
While you have the sump plate of look for long strips of black plastic on the plate or around the inside of the engine where the plate bolts on. These are pieces from the plastic part of the front cam chain guide.
Leo

That is for the xs650, the xs400(sohc) is NOT the same.

Back