Need Help on front drum brake & wheel 82 XS400 Special

SlickRick

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
HI,

Have my front wheel off to replace forks. I am looking for info on cleaning, reinstall on the brakes & wheel. Any videos out there and or good outline on this. I would appreciate this. One other thing Torque wrench. Can a simple bar one work or an expensive one should be used??

Thanks! :bike:

Really not much to a drum brake. When you get the wheel off pull the backing plate off and the shoes will come out with it.

Use some brake cleaner and a wire brush to clean up the brake dust and dirt out of the drum. Then blow it out with some compressed air. If you're not replacing wheel bearings then that's all you need to do for the hub.

Then to remove the brake shoes set the backing plate upside down so the shoes are facing you and pull both sides up towards you so the shoes make a V shape. They should pop off pretty easy. Then remove the springs holding the shoes together. Check the pads themselves to see if they are delaminating from the shoes themselves. If they are, replace them. If they don't have much material left, replace them. Remove the hammers (the piece that forces the shoes out) and wire brush them to remove any build up. Brake cleaner and a wire brush followed by compressed air should clean up the backing plate. Then lightly grease the part of the hammer that goes through the backing plate. Don't use much, you don't want it getting on the shoes or drum.

To reinstall the shoes, do the reverse. So put the springs back into the holes on the shoes, put them in the V shape making sure the springs stay in, line up the shoes with the hammers, push them down over the hammers and then push them flat. Make sure they are flush. Then reinstall backing plate and reinstall the wheel.

I use a click type torque wrench.

One other thing Torque wrench. Can a simple bar one work or an expensive one should be used??
anything is better than nothing

Rear brake was easy enough, the manual should have everything listed, what is your bike code? (mine is 4r4, listed on neck or engine, put it in signature line!) ((it will save me from going though previous 117 entries)which I am not about too)

Back