Need Help Wiring High/Low Switch

AaronKyle432

XS400 Member
Reaction score
I need some help on wiring. I have a 1977 XS400 and I bought a left side handlebar control that has the blinker control, horn, and High/Low beam switch from DimeCityCycles. I wired up the headlight, yellow wire, green, and black, but the light isn't coming on. I noticed that when I took apart the stock high/low beam switch, it had a blue/black wire attatched to the switch. So when the high is on, the yellow and blue/black wires are connected to each other. With the new switch, it's a push button (when it's pushed in, it's the high beam, when it's out, it's low beam.) How would I go about wiring the blue/black wire so it only powers to the light that's engaged? Hopefully that made sense, if not, I'll try and explain better. Thanks for help in advance

:umm:You may have to clarify a little further.

The headlight should be grounded... one ground for high and low beam ... there could be a ground wire or even just grounded to the handlebars/chassis from the control housing itself. The switch alternates between high beam and low beam current gets supplied and cut off only by the switch on the opposite controls.

Do you have separate headlights for high and low beam? each would have their own ground and their own Power supply. one supplying power from on off switch to hi/lo selector and the hi/lo selector to decide which is supplied power. Normal operation is just one Dual filament bulb.. not 2 separate bulbs.

Not sure if im on the right track ...maybe we can get some more dirt on your issue? I would guess that other wire is supposed to be the dash indicator (little blue light)from the spedo letting you know when the high beam is on.

Thanks for the response! The headlight is already grounded (there are only 3 wires off the headlight.) Do you happen to know if the blue/black wire is constant power?

This is kinda hard to explain. Haha. But when I took apart the high/low beam switch, it had a toggle switch that would seperate the signals. When high beam was on, the yellow wire and the blue/black would be connected. When low beam was on, it would be green and blue/black connected, meaning that it was seperating the wires so the other one wouldn't get power from the blue/black.

So right now all I have is (handlebar control yellow and green wire----connected to headlight.) When I put the blue/black wire in between the handlebar control and the headlight, it turns on whichever light I wired to to (if I attatched the blue/black wire to the yellow high beam wire, it turns it on and deems the high/low beam switch useless. It just keeps the high beam on the entire time while the ignition is on.)

Is there a way I could wire a relay or diode, or take apart the switch that seperates the signals when I'm trying to switch between high/low? If that ramble made any sense. Hahaha

Tach/Spedo main wire.... To Engage the control panel lights when the switch is turned on and Hi/Low Beam main wire, to send power to the headlight when the light switch is engaged ....then from there the push button selector switch will determine to send voltage to high or low beam. Sounds like something is grounding out where you don't want it to... bypassing the headlight switch. It looks like the control you have will work just fine ... the only thing I can guess is that you need a wiring diagram to see if the loom with the clip is wired differently than stock configuration ... maybe a few wires need to be re arranged in the clip connectors or just removed from the new control.

Only thing that strikes me as odd right off the hop is Hi Beam LED ground... maybe there is resistors here that shouldn't be used with incandescent lights (only LED)?

Compare to specs on the wiring schematic for your bike .... seems like there are more wires there than you need I think you are not far off from getting it right though.

Back