Need help with paint prep

Pork Chop

XS400 Junkie
Reaction score
I know this has been asked before but I can't find the posts. It has come time to paint and need help on prep. I am on a tight budget so am going the rattle can option. From what I have read, oven cleaner is a good paint stripper but will it damage the wheels or engine?

And yes, pictures will come as the process starts and mistakes are made. :thumbsup:

I would just use regular paint stripper. It should cost no more then oven cleaner ( I can't vouch for that option). Buy the thicker stuff its like a gel and will stay on vertical surfaces. I used it to strip a tank I have for another project. A tip on paint stripper, brush it on the whole surface then cover the surface in saran wrap that will keep it from evaportaing quickly then come back and scrap. Dont leave it to long casue it will still evaporate it just increases the dwell time.

After that use acetone to clean the surface (or you could buy primer wash but acetone will probably be cheaper). Acetone is great cause it leaves no residue. I always use it before tig welding to remove oils so I know I won't be inhaling nasty gases caused by things buring off.

Shaun

Last edited:
Oven cleaner will not harm aluminum, but you might as well use "aircraft stripper" which is available from pretty much any auto parts store. It works faster and is made for use on aluminum. It sprays on the same and really works. After that, a good soap and water wash, then sanding, then the acetone...and go from there.

I had better luck with spray on foam stripper as opposed to the gel from the same brand. The spray on foam stuff seemed to work faster. If you get a gel you'll also need applicator brushes. The spray on cans don't go far though, but you should have plenty for a tank. Stay away from citristrip whatever you do, that stuff is garbage.

Back