Need loads of help!

ckswong

XS400 Member
Reaction score
So its been a year and ive finally found some faults with my bike :( anywho i have a xs400j maxim and today i was flipping the handle bars. It was all going smoothly untill i found out my bars are bent from the last owner :doh: so now i have to buy new bars. mean while i started disassembling my bike and heres some pictures. http://photobucket.com/400maxim

my question is, can the xs400j be converted into a cafe racer? i removed the back sissy bar and it seemed to widen the back of the frame, does this affect the bike? i know i need to buy a new seat etc.

second question is, what is the max speed of the xs400j? ive only gotten it up to 150km with some difficulty. would the clutch be the problem? after i get my handle bars i will assemble my bike again and make a video and post it.

much appreciated!:D

HELLO! ive been reading soo much that i forgot to say hello. or did you mean in the intro thread? and ive been looking at your flat tracker for inspiration and ideas :)

that's OK, I posted a nice DOHC pikky somewhere on the site, but can't remember wher (modded xs?)

you would def need to be creative, but isn't that what's it all about though?

found it, but more of a street fighter though

http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5824&highlight=dohc+cafe

I'd say you would need to make a rear sub frame for the seat, buy/make the seat first.

well firstly i need handle bars, will the clip on ones fit the stock forks? im scared of clearance issues with the tank.

the video made me :) but that doesnt look like a stock triple tree? is that what you call it? cause i dont think my forks come up that high.

well firstly i need handle bars, will the clip on ones fit the stock forks? im scared of clearance issues with the tank.

the video made me :) but that doesnt look like a stock triple tree? is that what you call it? cause i dont think my forks come up that high.

he's pushed the stanchions through the clamps to get that look. It does steepen the steering angle and make the bike more flickable (Read unstable) but you could tame it by lowering the rear to compensate or fit a steering damper.

so without pushing the stanchions through, would you know if clip ons would clear my tank? or would i have to get a new triple clamp thingiemabobber?

if the clips ons wont clear, you need to extend the lock stops so it doesn't hit.

it all depends where you have the clip on's positioned for your preference/riding style.

you are over thinking the problem, cafe racer builders just did it and overcome the issues if/when they happened. Its part of the fun (when its finished) :)

up at 3 in the morning waiting for the shop to open so i can get my handle bars on to get to work! although i do have to put the fenders back on and stuff :s CLIP ONS IT IS! Thanks drewpy time to get some sleep.

So i got a set of honda handle bars i flipped, and i changed my turn signal lights, but now they wont flash?!?!? the emgo lights had three wires, black, black with white and red. i hooked up the black and red ones and left the white and black one, did i do it wrong? also picked up a emgo cafe faring and a new headlight!

the ride position is soo agressive, is there a point when the handle bars are pointed too far down? hella fun tho!

it was the day light running wire, but now i must have a short somewhere because my right turnsignal wont even turn on sometimes, only when im accelerating hard or sitting at a light sometimes. i did replace my headlight with a t4 bulb one :(. what do you think could cause this?

So im thinking of overboring my engine and sleeving, how much would this cost and how much horse power would i get out of it?? also i was on bikes.com and it says my xs400j is a 6 speed but i only count 5? confused!

OKAY! so my bike is totally appart, frame is bare. rear swingarm is off, forks are off. time to reseal those puppies and paint the bottoms! they are heavyer than i thought. how can i check if i need to rebore my cylinders? im thinking of a complete engine rebuild because my seals are leaking a tad.

If you don't see any physical damage to the cylinders, I say leave them as they are. I think the rebuild kit is pretty cheap, but if you need to replace any bearings it can get pricey.

alright! here we go. things that need to be done and a drawing of what i hope my bike will look like.
CKSWONG

starting with the forks.

fix seals, get gaitors, clip on handle bars pushed through lowering the front, fabricate some sort of fork brace with small fender.

new speedo tach, maybe just speedo, move switches from handle bars to center mainly high low beam, kill switch, and choke. delete engine start switch and replace with a key ignition that can start my engine, find a handle bar honk button and left right switch.

new clutch throttle and brake thingies.

fabricate something to replace the grab bar to act as battry storage and electronics ratsnest. make a new hump to go over that. and make a seat!

replace monoshock with a better one with chrome spring as it is going to be showing

try to figure out where i can get spoked wheels.

Spray white and powder blue, satin finish.

engine

rebuild and paint black with satin blue on the crank case for letters and lines, black for the rest.

i like this setup for the throttle

CKSWONG

i was thinking of covering all the holes in the triple tree with something like this
CKSWONG

or
CKSWONG

funny thing is i cant weld or anything so i have no idea how im gonna do the rear hump support and the fork brace.

wish me luck!

Back