need more power!!!!

79xsmutant

XS400 Member
Reaction score
I have 79 xs400 and i need more power... also have spare motor tl play with... any suggestions? Thought bout different pistons port polishing heads? Even heard that dual cam head might work... any info would be great...

Posted via Mobile

port and polish is free to do yourself but can also f*** thing up if u dont know what your doing. then go to cam regrind for a higher lift. then bigger pistons. ahw hell might as well try to stuff an r1 motor in there....lol. it a 400cc and if u want power its going to be limited. what are these thing rated anyway 29 hp?

Ok all i asked for was suggestions for more power..not to be mocked i read in another forum where a guy used gs 500 sleeves and pistons in his 400 .

Posted via Mobile

mutant,
I don't think you were mocked in the response. The responder did give you suggestions and was also trying to tell you that these old motors are limited in what they can do. The hp rating is about 27 for the motor you have. If you want more power in a small 2 cyl motor, find an XS 650 as they have double the hp at 52.

Funny my book says the xs360 made 36hp would think the xs400 would be around 38hp or so. These where the u.s. models.

i was not meaning to be an ass. appolagize if u took it that way. but if u want to keep thing simple and free. port and polish and start srtipping it down t make it lighter. unneeded wiring, turn signals, metal tabs, chain gaurd, air box, ect might not seem like much at first but it all adds up at the end

There are ways to get a few more ponies out of these bikes.Look on Dennis Kirk's site and you'll find more aggressive cams,heads,etc.Bigger carbs,jetted correctly,and better exhaust and intake can make it run better,but unless you just like this bike,you'd be better off getting a bigger bike. lha

I think it was crazypj that came up with the different lines/pistons. Easy way to make the bike go faster is to lose weight, both on the bike and the rider. Port and polish can be cheap if doing it yourself, easy to mess up though. Carbs, pipes and filters is always a good place to start...

mutant,
I don't think you were mocked in the response. The responder did give you suggestions and was also trying to tell you that these old motors are limited in what they can do. The hp rating is about 27 for the motor you have. If you want more power in a small 2 cyl motor, find an XS 650 as they have double the hp at 52.
I looked up the specs online,and my['82 xs400rjseca DOHC has 45hp at 9500rpms,104mph,"reduced" has 27hp at 8000rpms,88.9mph. lha

I looked up the specs online,and my['82 xs400rjseca DOHC has 45hp at 9500rpms,104mph,"reduced" has 27hp at 8000rpms,88.9mph. lha

Different bike that the OP. He has a early single cammer...I'm not sure why Yamaha chose to call a totally different bike by the same name ie XS400

Back