NEED PISTONS

There are quite a few threads about piston options.
The short answer is there aren't many options.
The big bore thread goes into some more exotic options.
Stock pistons show up on eBay and various online stores.

Not much for aftermarket. Wolfe tracked down some reproduction Sanglas pistons. Wiseco can make them but require a minimum quantity order.
Yoshimura apparently produced some but they seem to be more legend than reality.

Argh. I just got this one running, fired right up when I found the ignition problem...just smokes a bit. Thought I would find a way to freshen it up best I could. Trying to build my wife a vintage rider. Got the bike for free, not quite sure what to do to get it as fresh as possible with what is available. Do not know how many "tricks" are out there to do that.

Thanks for the post.

Herb

What are your cylinder compression readings?
Might not necessarily need pistons/rings.

Yes, good question...going to check that in the morning...thought I might get away with valve seals and doing the head...

Put 2 new plugs in it when I started trying to fire it...they're filthy already. I will put the leak down tester on it in the morn., I need to find a manual to get parameters for readings.

Thanks for the help!!!!

Herb

Shoot yea it is...but really, even with the exchange rate, this is not too bad, compared to what the vintage guys here in the states want.

Thanks for the tip man, this is a good resource for all this stuff I need to build.

Herb

Last edited:
With shipping and V.A.T here to the u.s. the cost is almost $360. That don't include gaskets, seals and machine work for the over bore. I would be able to get a good running bike with a tilte for that money. If the valves, guides and seals need work:doh: $$$$$ These motors are not worth a rebuild for the money it would cost to do them right. That is my opinion.

I haven't ordered much from the EU but I don't think we would pay the VAT.
For the piston and ring set that's 38 of the 239 euros that I believe would be discounted from the price.
Yambits lists both prices and has a disclaimer that non-EU customers pay the non-VAT price.

I think it is 239 euro's (262 usd) and then incule a 19% VAT. So even if that is the case with shipping the price to U.S. is still $311 U.S. dollars just for them parts. Like I said before I just can't see paying that much for top end rebuild. I do see there is another seller of standard piston rings on ebay now. http://www.ebay.com/itm/77-81-YAMAH...ash=item25b36fb743:g:iLUAAOSw5IJWd6HF&vxp=mtr I would like to see someone make crank bearing for these bikes. Almost non-existant and the ones that are the size you would need are crazy $$$$$$

Back