Need to replace/work on Brakes, what do I need and what don't I need

SilverTalon

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
I need to replace or clean up the shoes on my brakes. I have drum breaks on both the front and rear of my bike (1980 xs400).

I did a search, and found the pages in the manual that people recommend, but I'm still unsure of what I need.

At this point I'm comfortable taking off the wheels, and taking out the old shoes. After that I'm at a loss. Is there anyone who has done this with dual drums, and what would you recommend I pick up to do the install.

This doesnt really answer you question but i also have an 80 xs400 but it only has rear drum and the front is disk. Has mine been changed over or yours?

Y i just did a quick google image search and it showed pictures of it both ways but mostly with disk in the front so idk. Not that it really matters just wondering really. My bike is a special i dont know if that makes any difference either mabye.

Note sure, the manual mentions both disks and drums.

different models within the same year were made to be cheaper,and to appeal to more buyers.The letters after the 400 signify the model as some are stripped-down versions of the main [flashy]model,thus one '80 model having disc and the other having drums. lha

lhaolpa thanks for the clarification!

silvertalon...sorry for getting your thread of topic i hope you get an answer to your original question!

I need to replace or clean up the shoes on my brakes. I have drum breaks on both the front and rear of my bike (1980 xs400).

I did a search, and found the pages in the manual that people recommend, but I'm still unsure of what I need.

At this point I'm comfortable taking off the wheels, and taking out the old shoes. After that I'm at a loss. Is there anyone who has done this with dual drums, and what would you recommend I pick up to do the install.
There's not much to it really,just remove the wheel[for some reason I start in front],and pull off the brake shoe side,being careful not to have them fall out.Then get some brake cleaner from an auto parts store,and if it's not apparent that they're worn out,clean them with a good spray of cleaner.If they are oily,you might want to replace them,but if not too oily,the spray will knock off almost all of the mess.More important is addressing the cause of the grease:the seals and bearings.There is a large seal that keeps out grease from the speedometer gears,replace it if there is any grease on the brake shoes.The shoes themselves just fold off and on,and make sure all is clean& lube the brake cam and pivot point with a small smear of axle[wheel bearing] grease. Remove any glaze with emory cloth from the drum surface before closing up. lha

lhaolpa thanks for the clarification!

silvertalon...sorry for getting your thread of topic i hope you get an answer to your original question!
I thought I got to every thing needed for a brake job.Basically if you have wrenches,screwdrivers,a manual,that's about all except brake cleaner or carb cleaner[spray can,get a few]and some rags,sandpaper,some brushes.Most of this stuff should be around your shop,garage or whatever,unless you're going to take it to the shop for anything that happens.I took a bike to a shop once,and after 2 weeks of a 3-4 days job,They never did anything,I retrieved my bike,and never took anything back to a shop. lha

I thought I got to every thing needed for a brake job.Basically if you have wrenches,screwdrivers,a manual,that's about all except brake cleaner or carb cleaner[spray can,get a few]and some rags,sandpaper,some brushes.Most of this stuff should be around your shop,garage or whatever,unless you're going to take it to the shop for anything that happens.I took a bike to a shop once,and after 2 weeks of a 3-4 days job,They never did anything,I retrieved my bike,and never took anything back to a shop. lha

I ordered the shoes today. I have most of that stuff. Does the grit of the sandpaper matter?

Don't remove too much material from the drum.A brass wire brush would be about right,or very carefully with 220,then 400,but when it's cleaned up,stop! You only have so much original "meat on the drums,so think about having to buy new hubs. lha

didnt seem like i took off to much mostly surface rust. had to due to my front end was locked up...
That's all you can do,as if you take off too much or get it too smooth,either situation won't get you any better brakes.As long as there aren't any deep gouges,you'll be alright.Good luck. lha

Well, good news and bad news.

Good news is I replaced the shoes on both the front and the back. At the same I was able to solve a noise issue that has been plaguing me.

Old front shoes
15mo1tt.jpg

Old rear shoes (also the noise issue, among other more obvious issues)
2db5ssg.jpg

But then I get to the bad news. When hooking up the rear brake line to the drum, I was tightening the screw, and it just wouldn't hold. I kept tightening and snapped the screw. Now I need to take that out, and get a replacement. But of all things that could happen, that isn't too bad.

Last edited:
A rear shoe broke on my son's '81 as he was braking to make a turn. Locked up the rear wheel and scared the heck out of him. No spill or other damage. Don't know if it was an original shoe or a replacement. Lining became separated, too, just like in your pic. I don't like funny stuff with brakes!

ha ha, I remember batting along the queens highway on a KH125 doing about 70mph.

going round a long bend there was an old couple stopped in the middle of the road, looking at something in the distance.

Had to use the back brake, which locked. this scrubbed off speed, managed to tighten my turn, let off the brakes and missed the old gits by a hairs breath.

never got time to shit meself :D

so locking up the rear is not too bad, its the front locking which is the scary/accident moment

i Can't catch a break (no pun intended, but there is a pun)

So I had to take the rear disk off to get the arm to settle right, idk how many times I took the wheel on and off, but after the final time, its now flat .

Don't know if I hae tubes or not (original owner doesn't know either). now the tire will come off again unless I can get a compressor, and unless I have tubes

Is the lining separating from the shoe a common problem on these bikes?

I was going to tear into my back wheel today to check the brakes & bearings. If the linings were thick I was just going to grease the bearings and put it back together. If it's common for the lining to come off though, maybe I should just get new shoes. Since this bike hasn't been registered after 2006 they are at least that old. For all I know they could be original, though with around 10k miles I doubt it. I just got it running last week and I'm itching to ride it after I get a new battery & the idle tuned right, but I want to be safe when I do.

Any thoughts?

Back