neutral and oil light are very dimly on

Max K

XS400 Member
Reaction score
I am new to the forums and this is my first xs400 and my first post. It is a 1981 cafe-ish style bike (pictures attached). My question is my neutral light and oil light are very dimly on while riding. The oil light seemed to come on dim and then go away, but the neutral light stayed dimly on. I tried searching the forums for any post related but no luck. I was riding at night and it starting to rain a little then that's when i noticed the lights on very dim. Was riding earlier in the day and had no issues. When i got home i checked the oil and it was fine, the bike has good gas in it, doesn't stall or die. So i would believe my battery is fine and the charging system is good. Has anyone ran into an issue like this before? Or maybe have a suggestion on when to check.

Attachments

• IMG_0552.JPG
    IMG_0552.JPG
    192.5 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_0551.JPG
    IMG_0551.JPG
    181.2 KB · Views: 202
Regular bulbs? Not LEDs?

I'd examine the wires under the sprocket cover from the neutral switch and oil sensor, all the way back up to the first connector at the wiring harness. Possibly further up the harness towards the front of the bike.
Any small leakage to ground between the lights all the way down to the sensor/switch would allow current to flow, lighting up the bulbs.
Since both are doing it I'd be leaning towards a dirty or wet connector (from the rain), damage to both wires, or maybe something inside the headlight bucket or the indicator assembly itself.
Anything that could affect both wires.

Yeah just regular bulbs for those lights, my turn signals are leds. I was thinking it was a dirty connector. I was just making sure it wasn't anything serious, like the equivalent of a check engine light code in a car. Thanks for the help I will look in that direction

Back