Neutral light always on or blinking

tusnelda

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Hi All

First of thank you all for the time and effort you put into this site, i recently bought a
xs 400 se from 81 and have used this site as my guide for everything i have done to the bike so far.

About myself: 30 something from denmark had a motorcycle around 8 years ago, gave it up when we had our child, am now back in buisness and loving it.

And as the description says i have a problem with the neutral light, it is always on, no matter what gear i am in, when i have driven for a while it sometimes works or start to blink when not in neutral.

Hope you can help

Best regards

Start by checking behind the clutch cover on the left side of the bike. The neutral indicator is under there with a blue wire connected to it. I circled it in red.

Attachments

• IMG_0342.jpg
    IMG_0342.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 373
I suspect there is a short in either the wire between the neutral lamp and the neutral switch or in the neutral switch itself. Pull the wire off the neutral switch and see if the lamp is still lit. Jiggle it a round a little to while it is off to see if you can induce the neutral light to come on. If so, the short is probably in the wire. If the lamp does not light, the short is probably in the switch.

Yes, welcome to our little slice of life.
I suspect the switch is bad. One easy way to check is unhook the blue wire at the switch. If it goes off touch the wire to the case, it should come back on. The switch just grounds the blue wire to turn the light on. If it stays on with the wire unhooked then there is a wire problem. Power goes to the neutral light on a brown wire. From the light on the blue wire. As said the switch grounds the blue wire to light the neutral light.
So unhooking the wire should turn the light off. If it does the switch is bad.
Leo

thanks for the help, took the wire of the switch and the light was still on, shaked the wires underneath abit and it came off so must a bad wire.

Back