Neutral switch delete plate

WelderDave

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
is there such a thing? Or will I have to have a fab shop make me one? I don’t have the switch hooked up, nor will I, and I want to eliminate the plastic switch and put a good gasket or something there to eliminate the possibility of a leak.

Thoughts?

I would have that still functional. Finding neutral is a good thing. Guessing if you are is not. I guess you could just leave it the way it is or make a plate for it. Do you still have you oil pressure light? That's another good one to have.

I would just leave it on.......

My latest project still has all the stock stuff but I do not use any of it......I am just running a tach only.......

I definitely use an oil light, just not the neutral, easy enough to find. I have a leak in there somewhere but I’m not seeing any fresh oil anywhere but on the bottom of the cover so it’s eother that or supposedly there’s a plug somewhere there, never saw one initially but didn’t know it existed.

I’m other words that plug could be my leak if it was caked and I never saw it

I definitely use an oil light, just not the neutral, easy enough to find. I have a leak in there somewhere but I’m not seeing any fresh oil anywhere but on the bottom of the cover so it’s eother that or supposedly there’s a plug somewhere there, never saw one initially but didn’t know it existed.

I’m other words that plug could be my leak if it was caked and I never saw it

Have you looked at the clutch rod bushing ? that seems to always leak down there.

I will be checking that at some point in the next few days though. If that by chance is the issue, how hard is that to replace?

yeah probably, but if it ever breaks I’ll have a fab shop whip one up for me. I have a new o ring in that thing anyway, so the leak is one of the seals or a plug. Judging by the fact it doesn’t leak unless it’s on, I’m starting to think it’s either the push rod seal or the drive sprocket seal. I’m leaning towards the push rod seal though because there isn’t a bunch of oil leaking it seems, which would be consistent with what I’ve been reading about the push rod seal.

Turns out, it was the gasket that I put in the neutral safety switch. It was a little bigger than the original so I don’t think it is seared all the way, Yamaha dealer 45 minutes away has one. Conveniently it’s by my cousins house. So I’ll just stop and visit, lol. I’m also picking up a push rod seal wen though mines not leaking or bad yet, looks fairly newish. But I will need it eventually and they’re cheap.

Back